Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile    
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Clover Valley Forum * Welcome * Local History < Previous Next >

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:45 pm:   

Cat has asked for some info on some of the older families of the French River area. Here is the start of a three part series on the Jackson Family.

Jackson part one

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 11:02 pm:   

Part two:

jackson story part two

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 11:08 pm:   

part three:

part three

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 11:13 pm:   

Then the files got to big to post and I had to divide this up into 4 parts.

part four

Cat
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 6:46 am:   

That was awesome! I will eagerly check back to read more! So Torggy, what do you do for a living? I told my sister that I thought you were a photographer but now I think you are either a writer or a teacher. What year did you graduate? I know that you're younger than me but possibly went to school with a younger sister of mine. Anyway, this is great! Thanks!

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 8:58 am:   

You flatter me. Thank you. I am self employed. Mostly I build police cars. I also install commuication systems in city busses. I do the wiring for data systems in banks and offices. I even take care of the TV system in a large sports bar(my favorite)

I graduated form CV in 1969.

Most of the articles I post come from differant publications I have bought over the years. Some come from internet research.

What year did you graduate? and what was your sister's name?

I well try to post another family this evening. Gotta go to work sometime :-(

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   

Cat- Hi, my mom is checking on Violet's address for you, but I am not sure whether I should post it here on the internet.

She thinks she is in SuperiorHealth in Two Harbors, but not sure in which cottage.

Cat
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 5:37 am:   

Hi ho Cherio! Thanks for the info on Mrs Sunde! I don't think that I need the cottage - I am going to try this and will see what happens. I was trying to scroll back to see who your mom is but couldn't find it yet. Did she go to CV also?
How did you happen on here? Isn't this a great site? Thanks again for the info!

Torggy, hi! So you graduated in 69... I think that there was a Heino girl in your class also, wasn't there? Or was she in class of 68? I believe that John Sorvick (SP?) had a brother in your class also?

I graduated in '65 but my family had moved away from the area so I didn't graduate from CV. My maiden name was Julian and there were quite a few of us, from class of '60 to '70 (roughly). I have been trying to find my old Cavelier yearbooks but guess that they are gone. I wanted to see if I recognized your face from seeing you in the halls or something. Oops! just saw the clock! Gotta go! Have a great day!

Torggy
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 8:03 am:   

No there were no Heinos nor was there a Sorvick.

Glad you like the site. There were only some 600 that ever graduated from CV. It makes the pool of people interested in this site rather small. It is nice to see it get some use. Thank you.

I did go to CV from the 7th grade to graduation. Wow it just hit me! Did you have a brother that was a spirited athelete? That also died at a fairly young age?

Remember coach Ellala(sp)? He was strict. If you did not wear a belt to school or your hair was to long you could expect many laps around the gym plus some pushups.

Boy those were the days. Speaking of the clock I gotta get going too. I am out of town this weekend. I well try to post some stuff on the Heino family late sunday or monday.Stop back then.

CherieO
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 3:22 pm:   

Cat-
The address is: Mrs. Violet Giddings,
c/o Lakeview Nursing Home,
315 Eleventh Ave., Two Harbors, 55616.

Most of my family went to CV except my mom went to school in Duluth. I come from a long line of alcoholic Norwegian commercial fishermen, so that explains the Minnie the Mermaid song.;) My dad went to Bloomingdales, I think. I remember he used to hang out in Forest Inn, too.

Violet Sunde was the cook at the North Shore school when I went there. I went to CV the last year before it closed in the 7th grade then graduated from THHS. You might know my sister Ginny who would have graduated before or around 69. She lives on Greenwood Rd. now.

Do you guys know Olaf Gunderson from Stoney Point? He must have graduated about the same time. We were related to his family too. I believe he played pro football in a Canadian League for a while. He must be still around TH somewhere.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, November 1, 2004 - 8:50 am:   

Yes I knew Olaf. Played on some of the same teams as him. Saw him at the all class reunion a few years ago. He is married to Renee Stromberg.

first grads

Cat
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 9:31 pm:   

That was a great news clip! Have any more, Torggy?

Thanks CheriO for the address! I will send her a card. I'm not sure if she was our only cook at Bloomingdale but she is the only one I remember.

Yes Torggy, I had Mr Elala (SP) for English. Was there a Mr Lindstrom, also?

You mentioned Renee Stromberg - does she have a twin sister, Rita? I think I remember them.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 9:36 am:   

Yes Mr. Lindstrom became principal. His picture can be found on the pictures link on the home page.

Yes Rita and Renee were twin sisters. They lived on Greenwood road.

Cat do you have an old year book? If so I would love some scanned pictures from it.

Here is another 2 part series:
story 1

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 9:45 am:   

story part 2

Mother
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 7:30 pm:   

Was on my way home from a meeting and decided to drive up the McQuade, across the Hegberg, and up Homestead. Haven't been by that way in years. Sorry to see the school as it is. Anyone know what is going to happen with it?

Driving down Hegberg brought back many memories as used to deer hunt with Grandpa and Dad and several other guys in area just west of pipe line crossing. If I would have had some blaze orange with might have walked in the woods. Next time.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 9:18 pm:   

An old tote road and a long walk to the scaffold to spend a cold 3 hours watching the woods for any sign of movement. How can I miss it so much?

Ya should have stopped and taken a picture. I would like to post a picture of what the poor old school looks like now on the site. Oh well I hope to do it myself nest summer.

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   

Just a brief note of information for the CV faithful. I just heard today that the Lakeview Castle has been sold. My former classmate and fellow 69 graduate, Andy Sternberg whose family has owned the Castle for as long as I can remember has finally sold the place. I know it has been on the market for years. Andy has been some what of the local contact for all of us CV grads. I understand he well continue to work there for one year in order to meet already made obligations. What this means for the future of the Castle I have no idea.

Also on a related note, construction has begun on the Mcquade road safe harbor. I understand that there is a huge dirt pile where the old store was. Things sure are changing.

Mother
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   

I drove the scenic route on way to meeting on Friday, and yes there is a large "rock" pile where they are working on safe harbor.

tailspin
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:52 am:   

Happy Thanksgiving Torggy!

tailspin
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 8:22 am:   

MERRY CHRISTMAS SIR TORGGY!!!

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:50 pm:   

On the other message board Mr. Lindquist was brought up. His health has gone down over the last 10 years. I believe he had a stroke more than few years back. I have sat with him and talked about the old days at CV. I last saw him about 3 months ago. Over the years his health has cost him many of his memories. He still lives at the top of Ryan road. One's health should never be taken for granted. I check in on your site from time to time. I guess not too many former Cavaliers are out on the web.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 2:42 am:   

Wow! Thanks for the info Max. Sorry to hear about Mr. Lindguist. I am amazed actually that he is still around. Nice of you to stop and see him.

There are not actually that many old Cavaliers out there to be on the web. I think only somewhere around 6 0r 7 hundred people ever graduated from CV in the entire time it existed.

Did you graduate from CV, and if so what year?

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   

A bit of local news, fresh from the North Shore.

The Forest Inn burned down last night 1/8/05.

Back when the Hateke's owned it I used to deliver paper there and dated one of the daughters, Signe. There was a bgidge across the Talmadge river and we had some pretty good parties in the cabins there. The bar had alot of character and I remember a sportsmans club that used to meet there and show hunting films.

Any other stories?

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   

Hey Torgy, I am wondering if you would like some photos sent your way? I have 3 from the last baseball game that CV had. The photos are not the best since I had a Kodak instantmatic 126. I think everyone had that camera.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   

Yes please send them to me. I well see if we can do something with them.

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 8:56 pm:   

Hey Torggy,

Did you get the photos I sent on Monday?

Cherieo
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   

Here is one for you Torggy or anybody from CV especially in the 70's. I posted the question in the TH forum, too.

Do you know who it was that streaked across the CV gym during a pep fest in the 73-74 school year? I remember that there were two masked people that did it or maybe the same guy did it twice.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   

Cherieo & Torggy,

I know everything about the streaker during the Homecoming week Teachers vs the Freshman game. Dam I help set that up. Their were 5 of us plus the streaker. My class was going to have to do a naked line up. (like Porky's) When I have time I write about the streaking incident.

Cherieo
Posted on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   

Thx, I think you scarred me for life as I was just an innocent little 7th grader.;)

It would be fun to hear how you pulled it off. Did you get in trouble? I thought it made the newspapers.

Madmax
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   

Cherieo,

I didn't streak. I helped to set up the streak.

Since I know that nobody streak at Two Harbors after Clover Valley closed, I am glad that you did't pick up the habit of running naked through the gym to make a lay up.

Cherieo
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   

LOL! I call that a true team player. It took a village to accomplish a streak.

No, too bad I did not think of that. Maybe we could have gotten a girls basketball team started sooner.

Instead, that was how I became a track star in high school and college. I ran naked back and forth on highway 61 between French River and Knife River. I became Knife Lady Godiva. It was the only way to get anyone to give a bigger budget to girls sports. ;)

Madmax
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 8:40 pm:   

I over heard some smelters talking of such of an event during the late seventies. I always figured that they had drank too much. This explains their drunken ramblings.

clipart{smile}

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 1:08 pm:   

Yes, and in those days there used to be huge crowds of people and huge runs of smelt. I had to be quick as a smelt to get away from those fishermen.

So please tell us the streaker story Madmax, now that you have peaked our interest. You don't have to write a book, just give us the outline.

Madmax
Posted on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   

I am now working on the story. It will take a little time. Names will be changed to protect the guilty. Here is sample of the story.....

The final year of Clover Valley I didn’t have a second hour class. All teachers had classes. My study hall would be in the room that was in the old part of CV. Yes, I was going to be in “The Dungeon” for study hall. The Dungeon was ungodly hot since it was right nest to the boiler room The clock on the wall had no cover protecting the hands. It was a small room seldom used. Only a few desks were in the room, most need repairs and sent down to the Dungeon. Everything in the Dungeon was outcast from other classrooms. The only thing that was good about the Dungeon was the pep club cuties used the room to paint school signs.

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   

Thanks for the sneak peak, Max. So now we know you really were one of those Dungeons & Dragons geeks.

Enough of Chapter One, on to Chapter Two please!

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, May 6, 2005 - 5:22 am:   

Hey Torggy,

Work really must have you busy. I had ran into Mr. Lindquist and we talked. His memories are fading. Mr. Lindquist knows that he doesn't remember many things. He knows my face but hasn't called me by my name in a few years. He told me that he kept a note book of stories from Clover Valley. Stories of many students but he changed the names. I told him how it great to hear these stories or read the note book. But with his memory fading...such stories will be lost. Then his wife returned and they were on their way.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, May 6, 2005 - 9:20 am:   

Ya this last month has been work hell. Plus the yard is this part of the world goes just nuts this time of year. It takes heavy equipment and chemicels to control it. I hope that next week well allow me more time for other things.

Mr. Lindquist is still alive?! Wow! Good for him. It would be great to see just what is in that notebook.

I remember that room just throught the shop room back door. I used to build alot of the props used in various school fuctions in that room.

I did not draw this but it was drawn in that room by someone much more talented than me.
dance to the beat

Torggy
Posted on Friday, May 6, 2005 - 9:24 am:   

Oh, I too am looking forward to the completion of the streaker story. I had not heard of it till it was brought up here.

Gawd, look at the time, I gotta go.

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   

The story continues......

3 others from my class were in that study hall (Hot Rodney, Ray The Streak and Sci-Fi) and one junior girl. Mr. Udovich taught typing across the hall. There wasn’t a teacher in the room, Mr. Moe (the principle) walked in and saw how many of us were there and he had Mr. Udovich check on u during our study hall. So we had many hours unsupervised. Ray The Steak and Sci-Fi raise a little havoc from time to time (those are other stories). Later that year another classmate “Coho” who was taking Home-Ec and was kicked out. Hey CV was ahead of most schools allowing some males to take that class. Coho now was with us Dungeon dwellers. Ray and Sci-Fi would do many things while we were alone. Go outside and smoke by climbing up to the window and sitting there and have a smoke. I was able to escape to go show movies since I was roped in to being the AV guy..........

Cherieo
Posted on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   

Decadence! The product of idle minds.

torggy
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 4:29 am:   

Hey, I took typing. Only guy in with 17 girls. Heh Heh. Mr. Tranah.

I really like this picture Max. It is from the 1962 CV yearbook. Lots of names look familiar here. Max says he found it in the old cabins across the street from Wonderland.

torggy
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 4:35 am:   

Something did'nt work there. Try again.
Hey, I took typing. Only guy in with 17 girls. Heh Heh. Mr. Tranah.

I really like this picture Max. It is from the 1962 CV yearbook. Lots of names look familiar here. Max says he found it in the old cabins across the street from Wonderland.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   

as things unfold....

Ray (The Streaker) and was known to cause some trouble. Since Coho was sent to our study hall, Coho was creative and he always came up with some wild ideas. Coho was a cute guy all the girls in our class liked him (his girl friend was our classes hottest gal). He was our class ‘player” before that term came into use. Just before Homecoming he (Coho) thought how great a streaker would be during the freshmen vs faculty basketball game that was a CV Homecoming tradition. Ray said he would streak if the price were right. Now the seed was planted. The negotiation now has begun and the price would be some cash plus several cases of beer. To raise the needed funds we came up with the idea of a silent word to mouth campaign to raise the needed cash. Our silent fundraisers hit the halls. A few of us would privately ask students how much they would kick in for a masked streaker at the basketball game. Kids would kick in what ever they could afford. A dollar by dollar the cash was being gathered. All those who were solicited were asked to keep silent about the streak. I don’t remember who was the one that asked a female teacher to donate but one had been approached. Would this come back to our plan and us?

Homing coming week so many great events to raise the school spirit.....

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   

Dam the my cut and paste skills. This is how the final line should had ended.

"Would this come back to haunt our plan and us?"

Come on I had Mr. Udovich for teaching on those old Underwood machines. LOL

Cherieo
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   

Wow, old memories coming back!
There is one picture in that yearbook page that is the spitting image of my nephew. (That's because it is his father!)

My older sister used to bring me along on her dates with him when I was just 5 or 6 years old. He had a convertible and they took to me to the auto show at the arena to see the Batmobile. Highlight of my childhood.

Smeltfried
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   

Mad Max, Your killing me here with your changing names to protect the guilty. After all these years I'd rather hear who actually did the planning. I may have to dig out an old annual to find out who the streaker was. I can remember it like yeaterday. I was playing in the game, sitting on the bench during a timeout, hearing the crowd roar, looking up as he went by, then like a minute later he comes back the other way. I know who it was but don't remember his name. If I remember correct he was new to our school, only having been there a year or two. Hot Rodney was in on the planning then eh? Not surprising, have to give him the thumbs up for that next time I see him.

Smeltfried
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   

Cherieo,

...running naked on highway 61...a goddess! Hell, if I would have known you were doing that I would have been a better runner myself(from following you)LOL! I usually ran from french river the other way.

Were you really a track star in high school and college? I still haven't figured out who you are and I know I knew you.

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   

That's why they called it French River, like the beaches on the French Riviera. No, actually it was too cold for that, but I did make it to Nationals in the 800 meter in college before the Frenchman caught me.

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   

I am not sure who you are either, BigDog. We probably did run past each other as I often ran past French River. Did you live near ShoreCrest or Stoney Point or were you really in FR?

My nickname on the schoolbus was Minestroni and on the basketball team it was Scorch.

Smeltfried
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   

Lived in French river on Greenwood road. Worked at Shore crest for about 10 years growing up. Did I hear you say somewhere on here that Bill's X Virginia is related to you? I'm guessing I'm 2 years older then you if you were in 7th grade for the streaker.

Cherieo
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   

Small world. Yep, all true. You are not one of my cousins are you? I wish I had a yearbook. I lost everything in a fire.

Smeltfried
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   

Don't think I'm your cousin but who knows. I knew Virginia when she first started working at Shorecrest. Watched the whole courtship. It was good entertainment. I will be digging out an annual shortly. Do you still run? Run Grandma's?

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 5:00 am:   

Smeltfried,

Digging out your old yearbook? I don't remember the masked streaker photo? LOL The pictue said.

"Hey Masked Streak could you center your eyes in the holes?" "It is a good thing this is a neck up shot."

I knew Rodney would be a dead give away.

Cherieo, sorry that you lost such treasures in a fire.

More to come later.

torggy
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 9:12 am:   

If I am doing my math right, and that is a question as I did all six years at CV, This should be the class of '74 as they looked in '69.
page one

torggy
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 9:22 am:   

Page two
page two

Torggy
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 9:29 am:   

Sorry that second one got a little streached in resizing. Very busy morning and did not take time to check it completely. I gotta get, got home last night and have local things to catch up on. Have a good weekend.

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   

That is the class of 74. Knowing most of this class, it is funny to see how they looked as 7th graders.

Cherieo
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   

Those people seem sort of familiar, but I don't really remember anybody from other classes so long ago.

No, I am not really a runner now, more of a walker. I never cared much for competition so I gave it up decades ago. I did get my hubby to start running and he never stopped. He does ultras and multiday mountain biking events. People that do those sort of events are more fun and laid back, not so intent on winning, just finishing is a major accomplishment.

I hear that Bill just sold Shorecrest.

Mad Max
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   

The story continues...........

The plan to pull off the streak had begun. Great care was needed for Ray, so he could have a successful get away. Ray needs a safe place to remove and replace his clothes. What room would be open? Maybe the room on stage left could be used? The exact room needs to be kept a secret. Such details would need the assistance of an insider, someone who could provide a safe changing area. The female teacher who was approached to donate became an important part of the streak. Ms. Helper would provide a place for Ray to disrobe his clothes and a place to get dress following the streak. We joke that maybe she would be waiting in the room to get a very good look at Ray.

Since Ms.Helper’s room was near the northwest corner of the gym that would be the starting point. Ray would enter the gym at the northwest corner, run out on the basketball court and shoot a basket and leave. Ray then would run back to his clothes and get dress. Ray would have to sneak back into the gym. This would be safe since the teachers usually go into the locker room at half time of the game. There shouldn’t be any other problems. Now the count down to the streak is in full swing. I don’t remember too much from the rumor mill, the steak was kept below the teacher’s radar. We plan the event so well, that it would impress most Swat teams. I guess the movie “The Sting” comes to mind on how the streak was planned.

Cherieo
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

Are the initials for that teacher J.R. (married)? Can't wait to hear more of the saga.

Note: I think they are also remodeling Shorecrest right now.

Smeltfried
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   

Cherieo,

I heard Bill was selling Shorecrest. Never heard who the buyer was though.

I knew your husband did the ultras etc. though maybe you did them with him on occasion.

Mad Max,

I know who the streaker was but can't remember his name. Thats was I was going to get the annual for, lol. Good one though.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   

Finally the day came for the streak. Some things happen accidentally that would help the streak. Several guys were sick from school that had the same build as Ray. There was a buzz around the school, some questioned if the streak didn’t happen if there would be a refund. Even myself, I had my doubts. Sure Ray sounded confident about streaking the school, at the moment of truth, only his actions would show what Ray was capable of keeping up his end of the bargain. Doug the scorekeeper and doing the announcing was prepared to introduce Ray. Doug also got the team blue and gold basketball to used during the streak. Ms. Helper on board, and her classroom would remain unlocked during the game. Game time is approaching fast.

Note to Cherieo, not the correct initials.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   

a little bit more....work just gets in the way....

The gym was filled with the student body. The teachers were dressed in their sweats. The Freshmen team was wearing their gym clothes. I don’t remember who was doing the refs job. Doug at the scoring bench, announcing the game. Half time was nearing. Zero hour and the teachers should be heading into the locker room. I am not sure if the cheerleaders were going to do a cheer at half time like other years. The teachers remained on the basketball court. I thought at that moment, No way Ray would streak with the teachers all on the court. Doug looking towards the stage, out ran Ray. The announcement was “Here’s the masked Streaker”! Ray had on a ski mask, jock strap with a few streamers hanging off the waistband. Ray jumped of the stage and the crowd in the gym roared! Ray dribble the ball down the full court and shot a lay-up. Doug made the announcement, ‘that is two points for the mask streaker”. During his full court rush to the basket, all the teachers just stood and shared in disbelief. Many of their jaws where wide open as Ray did his thing. Then Ray made his escape. The crowd was still buzzing as their minds filled with the question of “who was that masked man????????

A few years later while attending spring break in Daytona Beach. I help with another streak of a neighboring hotel. A cross country runner from UMD, she streaked the Howard Johnson's. Those hotel security couldn't keep up with her.....

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   

Finally...........

Seeing Ray with the ski mask on, streamers hanging from his jock strap and going the length of the basketball was one of the funniest things I have ever saw. I heard many funny comments about the streak. Brad Ruberg noticed that Ray had stolen his ski mask, which Ray used. Back to the classrooms for all the students, then faculty could then figure out who streaked. I was in Lindquist’s class and Mr. Moe and Mr. Hyland asked for Ray. Ray was out in the hall being accused of streaking. Mr. Hyland wanted to do a nude line up in the boy’s locker room. Mr. Hyland said he could pick out the streaker’s body. Mr. Moe was putting on the pressure to make Ray confess. Ray said “F*ck you, no way I would streak”. Then Mr. Moe or Hyland slammed Ray into the lockers. We could hear the loud crash. Then Mr. Lindquist closed his classroom door. All we could hear was the muffled voices yelling outside the classroom. The next day, some students asked some of the guys who that weren’t in school if they were the streaker. As if any one who streaked would make such an easy confession. When Ray returned to school we found out that the F bomb got Ray suspended. Ray thought it was pretty funny that he streaked. What else could you say to Ray, his mouth back what he said. Ray got paid his cash and beer. I don’t remember how much he made but it was not much. Later Ray and Sci-Fi would get into some more trouble in the dungeon. The two of them would spend the rest of school in Moe’s office during second hour. After they left the dungeon was pretty quiet.

I am sure I left out a few details. The streak was quite an event. Lot of guts make the dash.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 9:35 am:   

That was a really fun story Max. What teacher helped? By now I think that all the details could come out. After all even the so called "deep throat" of the Nixon era has come forward. LOL

I wonder how getting slammed into the lockers by a teacher would be looked on today.

When we got old enough to drive to school we parked our cars down by the cafeteria. During hunting season many of us would have rifles or shotguns in the car. During lunch we used to check each others guns out or maybe clean them from the hunting trip the nght before. Sometimes the teachers would even come down and see. Times sure have changed.

Smeltfried
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   

I agree Torggy. It would be more interesting to know who really helped. I think the streakers name was Jon Gustafson. Its been over 30 years I think its safe to spill the names. Right Cindy, I mean Cherieo? If Max won't spill the beans I'll have to ask Ron Carter this summer when I'm up that way.

Smeltfried
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   

Sorry Cherieo, I ment Cheryl of course.

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   

I guess when I turn 91, then maybe I would spill the beans. Jon Gutafson? He was one of the names that floated around school.... John Parlin was another name along with some others.....As for the teacher..... errrrrr....well....Hmmm...I know several teachers donated to the streaker fund. I didn't collect from them but one of the others.......

siv
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Torrgy, just discovered your web site and bboard. One of my younger brothers clued me in. I remember you quite well. ...and I do remember your "experiment" in the lab. I believe Granger had just covered the topic of strongest acids, 2 parts hydrochloric and one part something else. Don't remember what you tossed in to make it volatile, but you closed the lid on the jar. As we all realized what was going on and ducked behind the lab tables, Granger's words "Torgerson, if that blows your never going to see the inside of this school again" (or something to that effect) were still in the air when the top exploded off the jar. It richocheted off the cieling leaving an interesting spray pattern up there for years to come.

We used to spend our lunchtimes reenacting stonings after reading a story about it in English Lit class.

Need another clue? You're locker was right next to mine, but I got all of the extra lockers because I was at the end of the alphabet. (Only time I could recall that being an advantage - otherwise it just meant I was always last in the lunch line.)

I have a daughter living out your way, a brother in Port Townsend and another brother down in Portland. My wife and I travel out that way once or twice a year to visit. Awesome area.

I use a different nickname these days - one I picked up playing foosball goalie at the vo-tech.

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   

Hey Siv, Did Mr. G refer to you guys as "Club footed yard apes"? Did Mr. G take care of the drivers training? I believe two gals from the class of 1974 were doing their behind the wheel and Mr. G fell asleep. The gals drove south of Esko heading south on 61/35. Mr. G had to cancel the remainder of the driving for that day.

Cherieo
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 2:23 pm:   

Thanks for the account, Max. It was fun to hear.
It seemed to me that he ran throught the gym twice, almost like he got stuck and was forced to turn around in order to escape. Not true?

You guys can list the names and I probably would not even know them. Some of the teachers might be still teaching so maybe we should keep them out of it.

No problem on the name. Most everybody gets it wrong. They used to call me Charlie in Miami, but that's my brother's name, too. I guess I need to find something more memorable.

Siv
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   

Mad Max, Mr. G had a different nickname for us. ...but I'm not sure I want to publish it in a public forum. I figured out years later that it was probably a racial slur. Not sure, tho. The reference to him falling asleep during drivers training sounds familiar. Don't recall the "south of Esko" part. This is the stuff of legends. I remember my first behind the wheel drivers training session. Mr. G had to show me how to shift. It was an automatic. I grew up on a farm driving tractors and trucks. I was lost without a clutch.

The farm I grew up on had Heino's store in the SE corner at the junction of the Shilhon and Berquist roads. It was Nolte's store back then. Patty Heino was in the class behind me.

Here's a story from back then...

The Senior class of 1968 had an officially sanctioned Senior skip day. Our class of '69 decided to have Junior skip day. (not sanctioned) Had a little problem with solidarity. ...about half the class skipped, half went to school. Some of the teachers took it pretty seriously - I remember Mrs. House making comparisons to Columbian student riots. The students involved were punished by being expelled for 3 days. Some of the kids considered it just three more days off, even had a picnic across the highway in front of the school. My folks took it a little more seriously, I had to spend the 3 days shoveling out the barn. It was worth it, though. You just can't buy memories like that. ;-)

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 4:11 am:   

Too much fun!!

Now wait a minute!! you got the story about the explosion in the lab real accurate. The formula was hydrochloric acid and one aluminum name tag from the brand new Chemicle lab fixtures. The important part you forgot was that it was Nesgoda that combinded the two, then when it all starts to fizzle and boil he walks over and sets it on my table the walks away. The damn baby food jar with the cap on tight was hovering about an inch off the table because of the steam exiting out from under the cap. I picked it up and set it in the drawer but the cabinete started to rattle so I took it out and set it back up on the table. Thats when I looked up and Grenger uttered those magic words from the floor behind his desk "Torgerson, if that blows your never going to see the inside of this school again"

I have told my kids the story about the time I blew up the school. Severel years back we stopped by the school while the burned out old part was still standing. My daughter was impressed.

Ya it was always you me and Debbie at the end of the line.

The junior sneek! That was funny. Late noe though try to write more later on that.

Great to see you all use the site. Hopefully some more old Cavaliers can find the place. Or if you are out there lurking, lets hear your old CV story.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 5:31 am:   

My first day of drivers training with Mr.G I had to drive into down town Duluth. (nobody goes to Duluth on the first day) My behind the wheel partner didn't pass the test so I drove with Mr. G all alone. Mr. G told be to drive to the court house. "Its pay day" Mr. G runs in to the county courthouse to grab his pay check. There was no parking spaces open, so Mr. G had me drive slowly around the circle drive.(gezz where are all the cops?)

Mr. G returned and we went up to 2nd street. I had to goose the gas to make the first light.(the light just turned yellow) This kept happening on the one way street at each light. By the time I was by St. Mary's hospital I was traveling at 50 MPH. Mr. G yells "slow down, you are going to lose your permit before you get it". Since this was the summer(74) after CV closed, maybe Mr. G didn't care what happen. Mr. G was going to Orr that following fall.

One of my classmates tried to do a burn out and almost ditch the big Plymouth. Mr. G told me to take it easy on him that day because of what Russ Giffen did. Russ just missed a stop sign.

Another day I was heading up the Homestead road from the shore. When we stopped at the stop sign on the express way the Two Harbors drivers ed car was doing a turn to go back towards Knife river. Mr. G told me to "sic them" I followed orders and passed the other car before Tom's Logging camp. I still laugh thinking about my behind the wheel experince with Mr. G. I never doubted the story of Mr. G falling asleep. Hell, with what I did during behind the wheel, Mr. G south bound towards the Twin Cities seem very likely.

Owl69
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 10:44 am:   

So it was Nesgoda who instigated the lab explosion! Sorry for the mistake, some details get hazy over the years. What was he doing in the chemistry class? Wasn't that an optional course? I'm sure it was 'cause Abe was in it and he was at the opposite end of the alphabet from me. All of our required courses were split into two sections, A - Nesgoda and Nopola - Z, I think. We got a student teacher for Chemistry class, Mr. Segal, if I remember correctly. Abe came pretty close to flunking the class. A bunch of us stood outside the door pleading his case as Mr. Segal was grading the exam. He passed with a D----. No lie, 4 minuses after the D. Probably the lowest passing grade in the history of the school.

On request from my younger brother, I'm changing my moniker from Siv to Owl69. He's going to use Owl75 - so don't get confused. ;-)

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 12:39 am:   

Well, most anyone would know the "Owl" moniker.

That junior skip day was great, I missed the main party that most everyone else went to. The funny thing is the day the unauthorized junior sneek was supposed to go down it snowed and they cancelled school. So the phone lines were burning that night with everyone trying to figure out if it was gonna go down the next day or not.

I could not figure out why they suspened us for 3 days. I mean damn we had just skipped school so that must have meant that we did not want to be there. They should have had us pick rocks in the football field or somthing like that.

Then they brought in the district superintendent, and the pastor from French river church to tell us how bad we were.

Hey remember old Harold Anderson? The stories he used to tell. We called them Anderson's fairy tales. Boy he got pissed when he over heard that one being used.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 12:50 am:   

Who is this fine young lad?
owl

Owl69
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 3:12 am:   

Hmmm, nice glasses. :p The picture is out of context, though. When I look at the entire senior class, I think "What is this sophomore doing in here with all the seniors?"

I missed the main party from skip day, too. I think Abe and I spent the day at his house playing Careers and listening to 45's. Regular party animals.

Do you remember Sex Education class? Was it Mrs. VerSteeg who taught it? I think it only went on for a few weeks before some parents raised a stink and shut it down. May have been one of the few courses where I actually paid attention in class.

Yes, I remember Harold Anderson. Lived in Wilmar (or somewhere on the Dakota border) during the summer. How did he ever end up teaching at CV? I remember a science project to study osmosis and capillary action. We stuck glass tubes through an egg shell and let them sit around (in water, maybe?) for several days. The egg white was supposed to rise up the tube. The old fart was actually grading us on individual results. Harold was surprised that my experiment worked. It didn't - I had pierced the yolk putting in the tube. I sucked the egg content, yolk and all, half way up the tube when I retrieved it from the lab. Had to keep a straight face when I told him I hadn't tampered with it.

Remember Harold's field trips in the Spring? (Funny how I think of all the other teachers as Mr., Mrs., and Miss, but "Harold" seems as natural as "Mr. Anderson.") Can you still pick out Marsh Marigolds and Blood Roots? I never was much good at the Jack-in-the-pulpits. I surprised myself a few years ago hiking through a state park. Found tons of them. Once you know what to look for they're easy to spot.

Okay, time for the fire fighting story...

I think the teacher's name was Mrs. Hall. She was young and I had the impression that she may have been a bit of a hell-raiser in her day. I don't recall what class we had her for, but she told us a story one day of how she and her classmates had all turned their chairs to face the windows. When their teacher asked what they were up to they claimed they were watching for forest fires. Our class, of course, pulled the same stunt on Miss Gazett. She blew her cork on that one.

Poor Miss Gazett, we gave her some difficult times. I don't think she had a sense of humor - not where we were concerned anyway. We once did a sychronized pencil drop. That might have been inspired by a Mrs. Hall story, too. Can't remember for sure. I kept a notebook of Mrs. Gazett's favorite sayings along with a tally of how many times she used them. "Simmer down" was at the top of the list until the time we all made tea kettle hissing noises in response.

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   

Hey Owl69 I like the time you posted. Very much Owl like. Like the tales of some of your school experiences. I knew Owl75 and the younger sister Owl. Torry's sister from what I remember was quiet. I will tell the story of the fire drill that sent the school scrambling one day. I still laugh how the school bailed out that day.

Owl75
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 12:01 am:   

OK, youse guys are starting to scare me. How you remember what you did in high school is beyond me. I can barely remember what happened last year - maybe I enjoyed the '60's and 70's too much...
Good to hear from folks, nice picture bro'

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 8:46 am:   

I assume there is an explaniation for this.
owl

Mad Max
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   

Hey isn't that Minnesota's first crossdress?

Maybe Ms Erho 1967?

Homcoming Queen?

That photo may had been on the front page of The Sun(or some other rag by the check out lanes). I hate it when there are cameras around. However, no photos of the streaker.

Owl69
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:31 am:   

I think there must be an explanation for that photo, but I'll be damned if I know what it is! You know, it's crossdressing up to the point where the wig goes on - then I think it has to be classified as transvestite.

I suspect it may have been a homecoming skit. I wrote one involving the Peanuts gang. Did that come out of our senior year book? What were our class colors, psychedelic pink and blaze orange?

Torggy, if you have more of that material on hand I will accept blackmail offers to keep it off the site. ;-)

Torggy
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:48 am:   

Actually it was psychedelic orange and beat pink.
cover

Owl69
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 8:47 am:   

Thanks for the image of the year book. I looked for mine last night. Didn't find it, but I did come up with a '67. I'll have to scan some pics from that one.

Correction on the "watching for forest fires" story. The teacher was Miss Hill, not Hall. I found her in the 67 book - apparently, she moved on before we did.

Mad Max, I think the official name for my little sister was "Fem Owl". She's computer literate - I'll have to clue her in about this site.

Owl69
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   

Torggy, a trivia question for you. Do you remember what day we picked for our Junior skip day and how it was chosen?

Owl69
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   

Looking back at some of the comments from last October. I believe Mrs. Sundae was the cook at Bloomingdale (school No. 92) before North Shore Elementary open up. I was a member of the last class to graduate from Bloomingdale. Still have a diploma to that effect somewhere in my garage.

If you cleaned your plate all week long, you could get an ice cream bar on Friday. The Monday through Thursday meals were usually pretty decent - by my standards. No menu was published so you didn't know what was in store for Friday. That's when they would slip in the dreaded macaroni and cheese day. That "cheese" was so diluted it just ran all over your plate. Like a rat going for the cheese, I usually toughed it out to claim my ice cream bar.

We had 3 teachers, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Mandelin, and Mrs. Frink. They doubled up on grades they taught. There was a kitchen but no lunch room. You took your tray back to your desk to eat. The desks were black wrought iron and wood, linked together in a row on wooden slats. They had ink wells and your seat folded down from the desk behind you. Jack Pavlisich was our janitor. I'm pretty sure each of the teachers and the janitor signed my diploma. I'll have to dig it out to see if Mrs. Sundae's signature is on there, too.

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   

I didn't have Frink at Northshore, I was stuck with Magee. What a nasty teacher. She always told us how her former students loved her. Mrs. Brown I didn't have but others from my family did.

Mr. Carlson was good to have for 6th grade. We used to have the best eraser wars when the teachers left the room. All of us guys covered with chaulk dust.

Owl69
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   

I also had Mrs. Magee for 5th grade. There were nasty stories around about her breaking rulers over students' knuckles. My 6th grade teacher was "Terrible Tom Travilion". I think that may have been a self-promoted moniker. He reappeared a couple years later when I was at CV as a student counsellor or some such role. Turns out he was a pretty small guy. He seemed big in 6th grade, but by 8th or 9th he was smaller than pretty much every guy in the class. Amazing how your perspective changes.

Owl71
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 9:32 am:   

Hello everyone from lover alley (as the sign said after someone stole the C and V). Since my brother gave me the high sign for this site I thought I'd just drop a message. I started in Bloomingdale (had to walk to school) for two years and then moved to North Shore Elementary in the 3rd grade. Graduated with the largest class ever to come out of CV (I think with 52) because due to the consolidation the kids living on the west side of the school district started going to Central High School the next year (they would've had to bus for something like three hours to get to TH). Torggy you might try a search for a site for Central since some of those kids would have been at CV. I lost my yearbook somewhere along the line, I think in Seattle where I lived for about 6 years before moving to the Netherlands. Is there anyone else from the class of '71?

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

Wow! This place is full of Owls. It is really great to hear from all of you.

Owl71, you moved to the Netherlands?! Cool! You still live there?

I never got the chance to go to Bloomingdale. I went to John A. Johnson in Two Harbors and then we moved to French River between my 6th and 7th grade years.

The only year book I have is the one from my senior year. But here is what was to become the class of 71 in their sophmore year.
class of 71 page one

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   

page 2

class of 71 page 2

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 6:39 am:   

Hey this was the Senior class when I arrived to CV High. Owl 71 huge feet, Coach looking for a pair of spikes to fit him for football. Chris Swanson was one tuff mother. What can you say when a football player paints his helment "Pink". Chris and Zeke (Jacob Schmitt)with his full beard. Only knew what these guys looked like as seniors, this fun to see them at more of younger age.

Heather Libby would drive their family green Ford station wagon. Being close enough to Johnson's Drive, you would see those who had or could drive their parents cars. The 71 year book I didn't get. I do have the final 3 years. I know a few stories about some of antics of this class. Nothing like the streak but each class does have their stories.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 8:19 am:   

Zeke had a home made scooter with like 15 forward speeds. It was an engineering masterpiece. Ran into him at the all class reunion a few years back. He was an mechanical engineer, seemed fitting.

Don Gravell and I used to hang out some. Scary huh? I used to hang out with his long time girl friend, Chris. Last I seen of him he had been in a bad car accident and had limited use of I think it was his right arm.

I remember Heather, beautiful girl. Lots of kids in that family. Her mother passed away last summer I believe. She was well liked and there was quite a turnout by the community.

Johnsons drive inn was a fun place. Between there and Wonderland I would spent all of my paper route mondy.

Owl69
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   

Hey, I went to John A. Johnson in Two Harbors, too. Went to kindergarten at Minnehaha. Transferred into John A. for 1st grade. After a month or two, we moved to our farm on the Shilhon road. Two Harbors used the Dick & Jane (& Spot) books, Bloomingdale had Alice & Jerry (& Jip). I'm lucky I wasn't messed up for life. ...oh, yeah, guess I was. ;-)

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Then we went to the same school for the first grade and again in the seventh. Kinda like "went to differant schools together".

I had Mrs Corcran in the first grade. She used a book to rap you on the back of your hands or to tap you in the back of the head. She had a rather disciplined class. Yes, they used The Dick and Jane books. Because of her I remember them very well.

The old part of John A. and I believe Minnehaha have been torn down now and with the advent of the new high school building the district is considering selling off John A.

This thread is getting to long and taking to long to load so I am going to close it to any new posting.

Just move on to any of the other threads or start a new one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration