Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile    
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Clover Valley Forum * Welcome * Hopeless. < Previous Next >

dave bruski
Posted on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

Torggy I hope this is the Right spot you wanted me to leave my notes. If I'm rong please tell me. The oldest Lason boy he lives on the hegbreg rd by Dale on. Dale's little bother snipe live by T.H.. Do you remeber the Hizsey faimly? John the Ceacture? Do you know any of the class who has passed away?I sure do miss it up there ! YOU know that BS moved to Montanna along with his broother Wessly.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   

Actually just click on any of the other threads you have started like Washington or what ever happened to those kids and post there. You do not have to start a new thread every time you post.

Dave
Posted on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 4:35 am:   

Ithink I follow you now .Thanks for the infoe.So how is ever thing out there? I'll be checking back on the site this week end.

Dave Bock
Posted on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   

I hope that any one who comes to this site will log in I myself would love to hear from from people who are still in the CV.One of the teachers in CV high said no matter where you go CV will always be a part of your life. I have always remembered that and found this to be very true! I miss CV very much and the people in it! So if any of the old gang come to the site tell anyony you to come on line and visit the site and leave word of how are up there no matter what year their class is!Miss you all
DAVE

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   

Here is an old song that was sung in the school old fight song tune. I am not sure where it started but most knew the song.

GIVE A CHEER

Give a cheer, give a cheer,
for the boys who get the beer
in the cellars of Old CV High,
They are brave, they are bold, for the liquor they can hold,
in the cellars of Old CV High.
For it's guzzle guzzle guzzle,
as we drink it from the muzzle,
roll out another keg of beer,
MORE BEER,
for the teachers don't care,
'cause they get their equal share,
in the cellars of Old CV High.
ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR (insert teachers name)
WANT SOME MORE???

How many remember this old song?

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   

I do not believe that I ever heard that one. Sounds like something that would have been popular though.

Cherieo
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   

Yes- Wasn't that song to the tune of the Casons go rolling along?

Caissons
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   

Over hill, over dale
As we hit the dusty trail,
And the Caissons go rolling along.
In and out, hear them shout,
Counter march and right about,
And the Caissons go rolling along.

Was it high, was it low,
Where the heck did that one go?
As those Caissons go rolling along
Was it left, was it right,
Now we won't get home tonight
And those Caissons go rolling along.

Then it's hi! hi! hee!
In the field artillery,
Shout out your numbers loud and strong,
One, Two!
For where ever you go,
You will always know
That the Caissons go rolling along.

Mad Max
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 4:46 am:   

Yes Cherieo, that is the music for Give a Cheer. There were two other songs that Kevin Berg made up.(I am not sure who else helped" One song he titled "Buzz saw time" and the other was "Niilo the red nobb pervert".

Cherieo
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   

LOL! I doubt you can post the words to the Niilo song.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   

Niilo didn't have any cussing in it. I guess if it offends any one, then I am in deep trouble.

Niilo the red knob pervert, had very shiny knob,
and if you ever saw it,
you would even say it even throbs.

All of the other perverts use to laugh and call him names,
they wouldn't let poor Niilo play in any pervert games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve, Martha came to say.
Niilo with your knob so bright,
won't you drive the bus tonight.

Then all the other perverts, shouted out with glee,
Niilo the red knob pervert,
you will go down in history.

Note.....Niilo is still living. Does any one remember when Niilo was lost in the woods by his gravel pit? I was pulled out of school that day with most of the upper class males to go search for Niilo.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   

Niilo didn't have any cussing in it. I guess if it offends any one, then I am in deep trouble.

Niilo the red knob pervert, had a very shiny knob,
and if you ever saw it,
you would say it even throb.

All of the other perverts use to laugh and call him names,
they wouldn't let poor Niilo play in any perverted games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve, Martha came to say.
Niilo with your knob so bright,
won't you drive the bus tonight.

Then all the other perverts, shouted out with glee,
Niilo the red knob pervert,
you will go down in history.

Note.....Niilo is still living. Does any one remember when Niilo was lost in the woods by his gravel pit? I was pulled out of school that day with most of the upper class males to go search for Niilo. Martha didn't report it right away since Niilo may had been out grouse hunting without a license. Someone in Clover Valley hunting without a license????? No way!!! LOL

CherieO
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   

What's this? Double your pleasure, double your fun...? ;)

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   

OK, I will jump back over here. Torry spent all his money at Johnson's drive Inn and the Wonderland? I heard Heather Libby had race the station wagon on the Lismore road. Lots of drag racing happen there. I was too young to be up there. After the road was resurface for the missle base, smooth and flat. No wonder that was the Valley's drag strip.

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 8:47 am:   

Yep, the little store at Wonderland used to get most of my paper money. In fact my mother and father met at the wonderland dance hall. It was just after WWII. Mom was a waitress and Dad had just returned from Europe.

wonderland

Owl69
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   

Was Wonderland the store at the junction of the McQuade and Scenic 61? ...just down from the lumberyard? ..that carried Playboy in their magazine rack?

Mad Max
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   

Hey Owl, didn't the French River Store carry Playboys? I know you lived too close to get away buying from the store down the road from you. The store on the McQuade road was Hatfields? It change owner ship a few times. Then Sternberg bought the store and the campground across the street.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:01 am:   

The store on the corner of 61 and the McQuade was Hatfields till Sternberg bought it. Thats where I used to pick up my papers. Used to deliver to the lumber yard.

Wonderland was about a half mile north of French River on 61.

Here is where the Owls spent all their hard earned manure shoveling money

french river store

Chris Swanson
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:09 am:   

Interesting comments. Brings back lots of memories.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 8:57 am:   

Good to hear from you Chris. Care to share any of those memories? Like, how did you guys elect Don Gravelle as class president?

Mad Max
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 3:46 am:   

Hey Chris, How many bones did you break on the football field? Being just a little runt, seeing your "pink helmet" Jeff Pierson was one name mention. "See him that is Chris Swanson, he broke Jeff's leg" Pierson had those "Moon eyes" sticker on his helmet.

You always seem to laugh around school but what the hell I know. I was a 7th grader. LOL

erinwenneson
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   

My parents sold the Wonderland store and resort to a couple in Sept., 1998. They are building a big house there. After 30 years, they had enough of working and wanted to retire. Some of the cabins are up in the country, including 3 next to Niilos. They live up in Piedmont now. My dad used to drive schoolbus for Clover Valley, then for TH..today, he still drives his car, but his eyesight and reactions are pretty bad, which is scary. I remember Niilo was pretty mad about Martha getting people to look for him..if I remember, he was hunting out of season???

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   

Hey, I remember that now. Ya he did used to drive the bus. Ya got to hand it to your parents. Their little resort lasted years longer than many others did.

I used to buy ice cream, candy, a package of Sunshine Hydrox cookies, couple of cans of pop and a comic book. Take it all down under the French River bridge, crawl up under the bridge supports and eat it all. Then mom would wonder why I was not hungry at supper.

Did you hang out at Schmidt creek? Or ever go down to Hjelmers old place? He was quite the character.

Great to hear from you. Got any other CV stories?

Chris S
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 6:50 am:   

Ahh Football. At Clover Valley we would play any time. Those winter games on 3 foot of packed snow were the best.

That day Jeff's leg was broke wasn't a good day. Coach Swanstrom was teaching us the fine art of high/low tackling. Galen and I tried it out but did it a little to well on our own running back. We never did that again, even to the other teams.

I also wouldn't recommend wearing a pink helmet in a game. Seems the other team can pick you out real easy. Remember a game in Orr my senior year, I thought I had got myself killed.

More later.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 9:33 am:   

I can remember one time having to shovel the field before we could play. Another time there was so much water on the field that the refs took both teams aside and told us there would be no piling on as someone would drowned at the bottom of the pile. Plus being Northern Minnesota that water was coooold!

My senior year we had Coach Salo. Not that it was his fault but we did not win a game. In fact I think we only scored two touchdowns. We lost by scores of like 61 to 0 or 59 to 6.

A pink helmet in Orr would have been a bad deal. Those were tough boys up there.

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   

Being just a 7th grader on the football team, I was stuck with Coach Huey (Vern Nelson). He wanted to show how much the pads could protect you by hitting someone with a baseball bat. Nelso would tell Oly Gunderson and Conrad Sunde stories.

My Chris Swanson Story.......

The B team would be sent in the locker before the varsity team. Some of the bigger 9 graders would go practice with the varsity. Only being a dumb 7th who loved the game, I would go over and play like a defensive back. Coach Swanstrom told me to keep out of the way. On one running play, I think Zeke handed the ball to Chris. Then Chris busted through a bunch of tackles. Everyone was required to run until the whistle was blown. I made my attempt to tackle Chris.

I jumped up and grabbed Chris around the neck. I was choking Chris, yet hanging on for dear life. Chris was carring me piggy back style. I am unsure how many yards Chris ran with me in tow. He kept swearing at me to let go. Thing like you little shit and some other fine words. Maybe even a death threat, I am unsure. Besides Chris was panting pretty heavy with the addional weight on him. Noway I was going to that, let go? This was my only chance. It seemed that Chris was going to run all the way to the woods. My choke hold applied and running over 30 yards with me on his back, Chris finally fell down. Chris got up and gave me a look with a hint of smile. Chris ran back to the huddle and Swanstrom told me to get the hell out of here.....I still believe Coach had to like that a 7th grader made Chris do a wind sprint with a 130 pound of weight on his back.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:25 am:   

Here's the question.

Does anyone know why Mr.Nelson was named Huey?

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 4:58 am:   

I heard that the Huey name was from that cartoon Babyu Huey. Baby Huey was a big duck.

"Snake" Lindquist for his snakey looks when someone in the class was horsing around. During Pep assemblies the whole gym would hiss when Mr. Lindquist entered.

"Shaft" John Gussendorf who reminded us of a white Richard Roundtree.

Teachers didn't like the nick names yet they gave many students their nick names.

erinwenneson
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 6:34 am:   

CV closed down b'fore I got up there..my oldest brother went there, but had to do his senior year at TH after it closed..my oldest sister also went to CV b'fore it closed..
I was attacked by Hjelmer's dogs when I was in the 3rd grade..so I didn't ever go back on his land until 25 years later, after he was gone..
He ended up in a nursing home at the end, and learned to play the piano there b'fore he died. He had 3 spinster sisters, so no heirs. Supposably, he was squatting on state land and the state was going to take that back..haven't seen that happen yet.
I run into Coach Swanstrom's daughter every once in a while..he's still doing fine...

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   

THE FIRE DRILL

I donít remember which year this happen but it was quite a site to see. This happen either the fall of 71 or 72. The senior guys were caught off guard.

I had shop class early in the day. The shop was in the old part of the school. During most school years, schools are required to do fire drills. I am sure the teachers are warned prior to any drills. Teachers were always calm during any drills. There was one drill, however that was unplanned.

During my shop class, the senior guys had gym class. You could see the guys out on the football field doing football or any other games. One sunny day class was just about over and all of a sudden the fire alarm went off. The shops exit goes out the back of the school by the gym doors by the guyís locker room. This drill the teacher told us this is not a drill and get out quickly. We went out to the parking area behind the school. The seniorís guys in gym class were using the door by the gym. Since this was unplanned, some came out only wrapped in towels. What made this so funny was the seniorís girls were waiting outside the gym exit. They hooted and whistled at the guys. I am not sure but I would think one of the gals pulled that alarm. Nothing was ever said to the student body about that alarm but the senior guys sure got punked.

Owl69
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   

Mad Max, you're correct on the Baby Huey nickname. If I recall correctly, Mr. Nelson was a boxer in his college days - either won the Golden Gloves or was a contender. Had good hearing, too. I remember a bunch of us guys standing around inside the gym next to the trophy case when he came through. Mike Grubb made some comment under his breath - I never knew what it was - but "Huey" spun around, came at Mike, and slammed him against the wall - all of it faster than the blink of an eye. I swear Mike's shoes were a foot off the ground. We were all a little more careful about mouthing off after that incident. Contrary to that instance, Mr. Nelson was generally a pretty likeable and mild mannered guy.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Yes he was nicknamed after the cartoon character Baby Huey. Mostly because when he walked his head went back and forth like a duck plus his size and shape reminded you of the cartoon. I can remember sitting in class waiting for him to show up. You could here him comming down the hall. His head going back and forth as his heels hit the floor with a loud THUD at every step.

He used to call me Mr. Average because I always ended up at the center of his grading curve. He could be alot of fun in class though and I have to agree with Owl69.
Mister Nelson

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   

Vern drove a blue Volkswagon. On the way home after a football game, the bus dropped Vern off at the dealer on Arrowhead road behind the Holiday gas station on Hwy 53. Vern had some work being done to his car. As he jogged through the ditch he fell flat on his face. The everyone who saw his trip roared with laughter. He got up and waved at he bus and continued on towards the shop.

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   

I guess with the 4th everyone has been busy. Not too much has been going on the web. What Valley student attended the all class reunion at Two Harbors?

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 8:15 am:   

I heard that several CV people were at the Earthwood Inn.

I bet there were several get togethers at the Castle too.

Sure would be nice to hear from anyone that attended any of the events.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 8:48 am:   

Hey guys! Guess who found the site? Norma Lindquist! She says Mr. lindgust has had a series of strokes over the last 7 years that have played havoc with his memory.

We hope that reading some stories of old CV well help him to remember some things and brighten his days.

So all you lurkers out there lets hear from you. It could help to brighten on old mans days.

If you cannot bring yourself to post here then at least drop a note to:
normafromduluth@webtv.net

I am sure they would be glad to hear from you.
Mr. Lindquist

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 9:04 am:   

Received this story from Mrs. Lindquist. Thought many of you might like to hear it.

We lived above the school for the first years out here---from 1955-1961 when it closed. We had 3 rooms and a bathroom---interesting place to
live. The hot air vents were in the ceiling, so you could stand under one and be very hot, then walk over to the window and pick up snow off
the window sill to make a snow ball.Mice were frequent visitors. There were holes in the floor, especially in the bathroom----rather
inconvenient to be "seated" and have a mouse poke its head up at your feet.My washer was above Mrs. Frink's classroom---some might remember this. Due to all the holes in the floors and the leakage of almost all
pipes, if I did run the washer, the water would drip down into her class. The tin ceilings didn't help, either. She did not take
kindly to this, so my wash day was limited to either the evenings or weekends. We didn't have our own phone until the 2nd or 3rd year. It
was an 8 party line, and you could rarely use the phone as someone was always talking on it. Mrs. Sunde used the phone---which was at the
bottom of the stairs---each day after she finished work. She would call all of her friends who were on the Duluth line and talk for well over an hour. Thinking of Mrs. Sunde---I don't know who all knows about this. Mrs. Sunde sold cookies at the North Shore School to help get money to buy a new piano. The government gave subsidies of food, and one of the items was sweet potato powder. Now, what grade school child would ever eat mashed, mushed sweet potatoes? So, Mrs. Sunde mixed the dried
powder into her cookies and called them "Crunchy Crunch." Everyone thought they were great----and the money paid for a large part of that
piano.

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   

Party lines....Oh what fun they were. I never seen the old school. It was torn down before we moved to the valley area. Hopefully Mrs. Lindquist will keep sharing some of the old tales from the schools. She also put her time in at Northshore.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 12:04 am:   

Mrs. Lindquist sent me this picture of the old school.
bloomingdale
I never went to it either. I moved from Two Harbors just after my 6th grade year therefore I went directly to CV

Vegas
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   

For those who do remember---there was a skating rink behind Bloomingdale. Jack Pavlisich, the janitor, stood out there in freezing cold temps with a garden hose in order to give the kids a rink. It was a good-sized one, and I took my 2 yr. old out on it every day when we first moved there. Some time after North Shore opened, a rink was set up there. At first, it was taken over by kids wanting to play hockey, and no one else had a chance to skate, either during school or on the weekends. Later on, a board fence was put up to divide the rink into 2 halves. That worked much better. Pat Anderson, the 2nd grade teacher, gave skating lessons at noon time and during some gym classes. She had taken lessons herself so knew what to teach--and she was very good. Many of the gym classes were spent out there. Does anyone remember the bucket brigade at North Shore during a very hot, dry fall? Daryl Olson was the 6th grade teacher, and when a fire was noticed to the north of the school, he found buckets, sent his class out and they formed a line to pass the buckets filled with water to put out the fire. I believe it was televised later (pseudo-fire) and shown on TV. Daryl really liked that particular 6th grade. In fact, the last day of school you could see him running after the last bus, waving good-bye, and crying for all he was worth. The kids liked him as much as he liked them.

Owl69
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - 12:57 am:   

I've been away from the site for a while. My bro, Owl71, dropped in from the Netherlands a couple weeks ago. ...and my summer class ate up the rest of my time. Just have to turn in my take-home final and attend one class this week and I'll have all the requirements for my masters. Now, I suppose it's time to decide what I want to be when I grow up. ;-)

Norma - thanks for the stories. I love that picture of old Bloomingdale School No. 92. Looks like some snow on the ground when that picture was taken. I remember the skating rinks Jack used to build for us. I also remember the slides he made - he even carved steps in. The sides of the slide were pretty rough though. I remember going down it on my saucer and someone had jumped on top of me pinning my leg down against the edge all the way down. Ouch! My thigh was totally black and blue from that.

Sorry to hear that Bill has had some strokes. My mom has had a few, too. Bill used to drive me and Mary Olmstead in to St Michael's for confirmation classes. Ask him if he remembers the time a deer came bounding out of the ditch, crossed inches in front of his car, and disappeared across the road without getting hit. That was a rush!

What's this about an all-class reunion up in Two Swamps?

erinwenneson
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - 6:06 am:   

I guess Clover Valley has become a township of its' very own:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/12290440.htm

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - 8:52 am:   

Congrats on new degree Owl69. Bout time you got that done. Sounds like a busy summer. Good to hear from you again.

Yes there was a all-class reunion in Two Swamps during last months Hertiage days. The main party was in Duluth at the DEC. Although there were class get togethers all over the place.

Thanks for the link erinwenneson, sounds like a wild night on the Torgerson road.

Here is a rather sad pic that Norma sent me of the old part of CV after the fire.
burned school

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   

Hey Torggy, You need to find some free time to post those pics I sent way back when. The last two weeks I have ran into Norma and Bill.(Today) We spoke of the web page and her postings. Sounds like you added one to your age. Happy Belated B-Day.

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 8:15 am:   

Max I must apologize about not getting your pictures posted. I hope to get them posted on a page of their own. I well get that done soon. Thanks for reminding me.

Ran into the Lindquists! That is great! It is fun to hear that the web site is being talked about. Now if all those lurkers out there would speak up we might get some more stories.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 9:29 am:   

Congratulations, Owl '69, on your Master's Degree. It's never too late to learn. I had heard about your Mom's strokes. They really shoot a hole in one's future plans. I told Bill about the deer incident He didn't remember it but enjoyed hearing the story. One night coming home from Christmas Eve services, my mother and I were by David Erickson's place when a deer came up out of the ditch, collided with the driver's side back door, and headed off to the other side of the road. No damage, thank goodness, but when we got home and told the family what had happened, Bill said, "You didn't hurt the car, did you?" And one daughter said, "Oh, the poor deer" and another said, "Did you kill the deer?" Mother and I looked at each other, shrugged, and I said, "We're just fine--thanks for asking."------I wonder if Owl '71 remembers his catechism lessons at Bloomingdale. When he and Ann were ready for First Communion, they were the only 2 out here and I had no car, your mom was busy, so Fr. Hayes suggested I teach the lessons. Imagine that---a Protestant teaching Catholic catechism. When we were finished, Fr. Hayes seemed very pleased with what both had learned. I don't think my mother- in- law ever got over that one---she was more Catholic than the Pope.........You asked about the reunion in TH. Two of our girls went up on Friday night---had a great time seeing former classmates. On Sat. one daughter, husband, and 2 kids went up for the parade. Neither of the girls went to the DECC. I heard that part of the evening was taken up with speeches by the supt. and principal. Regardless of that, the reunion was a success from what we were told.........Not sure if you knew that Tom Olmstead's mother has had a couple of strokes and is in a nursing home.

Owl69
Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   

Norma, thanks for the wonderful stories. You have a knack for storytelling. Tell Bill "Hi" from me.

A little trivia - I came across a reference to the McQuade Road. Apparently, it got its name from Samuel C. McQuade who was Duluth's first chief of police and the first sheriff in St Louis County. The family owns a beer distribution company in Bismark, ND. http://www.mcquades.com/html/history.html

I'm having a graduation party next weekend, Sunday, 8/14. Starts around 1:00 and runs until the beer/food gives out. ;-) If any of you CV types are in the Rochester (MN) area, stop by. I'm a little wary about posting an address on the web, but here are directions: From Hwy 52 in Rochester, take the 16th Street (South) exit and go east about a mile and a half. You'll cross Broadway and reach a 4-way stop at 3rd Ave. Keep going a few more blocks to 7th Ave, take a right and we're half way down the block on the right-hand side. There will be tables, chairs, and tent awnings in the driveway. It'll be easy to spot.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   

Sounds like a great time in Rochester. Wish I could be there to help drink the beer. I have a graduate degree in that.

Speaking of beer, who better to have a road named after than someone whose kids went on to own a beer distributor? Quite the little bit of trivia there Owl. Thanks

My good friend at the Two Harbors Forum, who actually runs this site, got most of Max's pictures posted today. I still got a couple I got to work on but we are getting there. Just go to the main page and then click on the picture page.

Thanks Max!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Mad Max
Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   

Hey Torggy that is great seeing the photos posted. Those bus trips with the girls track team. Coach Hyland for the final season. He moved on to Wrenshall. I always followed Wrenshall in the standings when Hyland coached those teams in the St. Louis County League.

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   

Is everyone finishing their vacations? The page has been quiet for a while.

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, October 3, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   

Man time has slipped by since any posting here on the web site. Fall has always been a hunting tradition for many who grew up out in the Valley. After returning to school on a Monday most us guys would talk of our hunting stories whether if we were hunting grouse or deer. Any one out there with a good or funny hunting story? Earlier in the web thread I spoke what happen to Nilo.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 8:11 am:   

At lunch we would quite often check out each others hunting rifles in the parking lot down by the cafeteria. Sometimes the teachers would join. Imagine the uproar if you did that in this day and age.

I know several people a day visit this site, the counter shows it. But so few want to post it makes me wonder if the english class taught at CV was any good.

Chris Peterson
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   

Glad to find some fellow Clover Valleyites. I went to CV and would've graduated in '76, but when CV merged with TH, my parents sent me to Duluth Cathedral. I'm trying to find another CVer that went to Cathedral with me, but have lost track of her. Her brother was Zeke, and a few of you have mentioned him in your notes about football, so I'm hoping someone knows where he is now. His sister was Sue. I used to live second house south from Ryan rd on North Shore Drive, between Anderson's and McLean's. Norma if you're reading this you knew my folks Ed and Hazel, you used to work with my mom and you and bill would come over and play cards. I'll write more to you at your webtv address in the upcoming days. It was fun to reminisce at this site, so many names brought back memories! Hope someone responds.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 8:24 am:   

Great to hear from you Chris! Glad you liked the site, I hope someone knows who you are looking for. We used to call Buddie Schmidt "Zeke". He lived on the Ryan road just below the tracks on the left hand side as you go up the hill. But I do not know if he is the right "Zeke". I do not know where he is but I ran into him at the all school reunion a few years back. Said he was an engineer.

We lived just down the road from you. In fact my parents still do.

chris
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 9:23 am:   

Hey Torggy, I wondered if you were the Torgeson from the resort just down the roadl. And yep, that's the right Zeke, so if anyone else knows something, pass it on. I think his full name was Jacob Schmidt. Are their parents still in the area?
I think there was an older sister Peggy, too.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   

Well, I am a Torgerson but we did not have a resort of any kind.

Yup, that was his name, Jacob, I used to hang around with him, Royal Abrahamson, Steve Syrett and a couple others. Zeke used to build the neatest things. He had a homemade scooter with like 16 forward speeds. Then for awhile he had a 52 Buick we used to bomb around in. It had a straight 8 and arm strong steering. Used to take two of us to turn the wheel. It was great fun.

Chris
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   

Sorry I remembered later that you had the house just further south of the resort with all the little white cabins. Phil and Diane Carlson bought it later. Yea, I remember Zeke had all kinds of vehicles. He gave me a ride one time on his motorcycle and I got burned by the exhaust pipe, but it was still a blast! Hope somebody else visits the forum this week. I did get a lead from another source that he's in Nevada.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 2:13 am:   

Ya, that was Stromgrens Resort. Myrt and Henning, Phil was the son From Myrt's first marriage, I think. My mother used to clean cabins there. We had a little bridge across the ravine for her to get t work. Was quite the comute. I watched the place a few times for Phil and Diane while they spent the weekend out of town. Was kinda fun.

Myrt passed away many years ago. Henning remairried, Myrt's cousin. Also named Myrt. Henning has also passed away now. The second Myrt is still around though

If ya find Zeke tell him about the site.

chris
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   

I had some luck today and found their mom. She's hearing impaired but I was able to get Sue's info. When I talk to Sue, I'll find out about Zeke and pass on your website. I'll keep checking in, too, as it's fun to relive the memories. I'll watch for class of '76 reunion news. Even tho I didn't graduate from T.H., it would be fun to go to a mixer and see some old classmates again. Thanks for having this website for all of us!

Owl69
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   

Hey, Torrgy. I've been away from the site for a bit. Life gets hectic now and then. You going to be around in a couple of weeks? My wife and I are going to be in your neck of the woods.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 8:05 am:   

That would be great! Looking forward to seeing you. You have my email just drop me a note as to when and we sure can arrange something.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 8:44 am:   

I just found this picture of the old Fish Fry with Hatfields old store in the back round. With the new Safe Harbor being built there now I bet it sure looks differant.
fishfry

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   

Hey Torggy, funny you posted that pic today. My Dad and I drove out on the shore yesterday. I didn't have a camera but you should see what has been done there for the safe harbor. If I get time I will bring a camera and take a photo for you.

After driving on the shore, we went up to check on the deer stands. A nice walk into the woods off the Hegberg road. Then I drove back to Duluth via the Fox Farm road and down the Rice Lake road. It was a nice day for that trip.

About a week ago I ran into William and Norma having lunch with two of their daughters. It is always good to see that two of them spending time together. I had a nice chat with all four of them.

A note to Chris Peterson. Are you still in the Duluth area?

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 9:38 am:   

Hi from Norma L. Someone long ago asked about Larry Nesgoda. His house is for sale, so I assume he plans to move out of the area. Haven't seen him for years. He put new siding on our garage in the mid 1990's, and that was the last we saw of him.....Chris Peterson---nice to read your message. Yes, we certainly did know your mom and dad. Had some fun weekends with them in Mpls. along with Kivistos and Frinks. It was sad when they both passed away--too bad we can't keep living forever and visiting friends. Did you send me an e-mail?......I'll try to think of more "Bloomingdale" stories. How many remember Mrs. Ahlberg who taught music there and was secretary at North Shore? She's suffered from multiple sclerosis for a number of years but isn't one to give up easily.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   

Hey, Mad Max---Nice to have the chat with you not long ago as we sat with our girls. It's always good for Bill to be able to talk, although I must admit we didn't give him much of a chance. Put 3 women together and you know what happens!!! Anyhow----maybe you can answer a question for me. I told Margaret that Jean Merry had taught at MacArthur West. Marg says she never heard of her----so maybe she taught at Merritt School. I know she taught 5th grade--I can picture her standing by her classroom door on Grandparent's Day. Her mother, Jean Magee, taught at North Shore for a number of years. Do you remember her from Merritt School when your boys were there---at least, I assume that's where they went for grade school.

Mother
Posted on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   

Mad Max, curious as to where you hunt on the Hegberg. I used to hunt with my Grandpa and Dad approximately 1/2m west of the pipeline near the beaver pond on south side. My dad and grandpa started hunting in that area in the early 60's. I started in the late 70's. We moved a little further west when my great-uncle bought 10 acres on the south side of the Hegberg in 86-87. I haven't hunted on the Hegberg for 10 years or so. Thought about going up in that area for a day or half a day during dear season for old times sake. A lot of great deer hunting memories from the Hegberg.

webman
Posted on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   

Hey Chris, TH Class of '76 reunion will be Friday, July 7th, 2006. You can email me for specifics if you like.

Webman
Posted on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   

I guess I should include my email, eh?
webmaster@twoharborsforum.com

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 10:42 am:   

Thanks for the information Webby and thanks for all you do to help keep this site up and running.

I found this picture of the French River Bridge before Hwy 61 was paved.
french River Bridge
It was listed as Hwy 61 near Duluth but anyone who grew up there would regonize it right away.

Jake Schmidt
Posted on Saturday, November 5, 2005 - 9:22 am:   

Hello Torrgy
Great site- fun to read about the North Shore and the Clover Valley area. Great memories
I have great memories of Bloomingdale school, Mrs. Brown for 1st grade, Mrs. Mandeline for 2nd, and Mrs. Frink for 3rd,(then Mrs. Frink for 4th, then Mrs. Frink for 4th....yes again....I know she did the right thing....now, but then%$#$$%) But the last two were at the NEW North Shore where some of us met Mrs. Willmenen, (a great disciplinarian...and a great teacher) BACK To BLOOMINGDALE...Mrs Ahlberg for music (upstairs) Mrs. Sunday and her spanish rice (which kept many kids from their Friday Ice cream. Jack Pavalasich (sp?) Walter Johnson the bus driver, Reino Tumenin(again sp?)
Jack had a quart of Mercury in a jar we used to play with out back by the propane tank.!#% Snow forts in the front of the school, skating in the back, along with the slide. Whalstroms electric fence that you where challenged (dared) to P..(sounds like see)on to be able to hang out in the back corner with the older boys. Playing on the sewer lid as 1st graders, because the second and third graders claimed all the rest of the playground. Ringing the recess bell. The big white water fountain in the foyer (where you were cool if you could get a drink without having to be lifted up. Mrs. Mandeline coming into the boys washroom if we got to loud (it wasn't her you then needed to feel embarrassed for!). The basement used as the spookhouse for halloween. The desks all locked together with ink wells in the top right corner! Crossing guards with the white belts and badges. Walking to Noltes store in the spring. (Always with permission....right?)
Sitting on Mrs. Sundays lap when she found out you trashed some of that Tomato soup lice (did I say lice? I meant rice) just to try to get that damn ice cream fudge bar on Friday!
It seems only yesterday
Jake(Zeke)Schmidt

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, November 5, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

Hey Zeke!! Glad ya found the site! Hope to hear from ya often. I remember an old '52 Buick you used to have. Didn't it have two differant sized tires on the front? That and arm-strong steering made it really weird to drive. It would turn really easy to the left but it took two of us to make it turn to the right.

I never got the chance to go to Bloomingdale. But it sure has a big place in the hearts of allot of people. Any one have more pictures of the place please send them to me and I well do what I can to post them.

Webman
Posted on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   

The old Forest Inn has finally been knocked over. Somebody hauled in one of those pre-built homes and set it up a little ways in back of the old Inn. Sure looks different.

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   

I used to deliver papers to the Forest Inn. I can remember there being a sportmans club that used to meet there a couple times a month to watch hunting movies and trade stories. Of course there was a beer or two drank also. They used to have a real nice bridge across the Talmadge so that you could get to their cabins on the other side of the river. We had Halloween parties there and I had a girl friend whose parents owned the place, Signe Hateke. It was sure sad to see how it had declined so badly over the years. Almost a relief when it burned down.

Anyone out there with a picture of the old Forest Inn please post it or send it to me. I would love to see it.

The new safe harbor, Lakeview Castle with new owners and the Forest Inn gone. That area is sure undergoing allot of changes.

Thanks for the update Webby!

Susan Birks
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   

hey There,

Jake Schmidt's "baby" sister checking in. Who are you all????????????:)

With all your "code" names it is difficult to know who is whom.

I STILL talk about Walter, the bus driver, and STILL tell the story(as recently as a week ago) about Bill Lindquist. When i started the sixth grade, the first day, He called role and when he got to me he said "Susan Schmidt, ahhhhh, the last of a LONG line!!!"
That's what I get for having "zeke" in before me!!!! What a great teacher!

I remember the skating rink, having Mrs. Brown for first grade, having Mrs. Mandeline for third grade and her chasing the girls out of the "lavatory" for being too loud or being.

Mrs Magee was always sooooo intimidating with her trademark saddle shoes and Mrs. Fink constantly checking my cuticles...to this DAY I have a fettish!!!!!!!!!!!!!(sp?)

mr. whats-his-name? that lived in the house on the grounds....he taught science, I think, and drivers ed.....hey, he taught me how to drive when my dad refused after I nearly put the old ford truck through the garage door.........!

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   

Susan it is great to hear from you. Don't worry about the screen names you'll figure out who most of us are. Although there are still a few I am trying to figure out myself. Did you figure out who I am?

Now there is an experience I am glad not to have to live through again. That being having to ride on Walter Johnson's bus. God rest his soul but he was a pain in the ... Sit in your assigned seat, keep your mouth shut, no eating, no breathing.LOL

The drivers ed\science teacher would have been Mr. Granger. Did he stay awake during your lessons?

Here is a pic I found of "The Zeke" himself
zeke

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   

On a more personal note, the great Owl69, myself and both our families got together this last Tuesday afternoon. It was great to see someone I had not seen since highschool. First time I have run into some from my class, outside of a class reunion, in 35 years.

Owl has such a beautiful family he must be very proud.

susan birks
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 7:46 am:   

I have not seen many from the french river area as living on the east coast does not afford me the oppertunity to visit often.I've never kept in touch. My Brother keeps in touch with many there. This last july my father died and we had an oppertunity to see some people at his memorial service.
Ahhhh yes, Mr. Granger, that was his name. Funny the people that come to mind after so many years.
What was the librarian's name....the small woman with the glasses?
It sounds as though it was a true pleasure for you to get together with "the great Owl69". (is there a reason for all the mystery with the contributors)

Great picture of Jake (Bud, to me)

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   

Really sorry to hear about your father, Susan. I remember the Concrete boat he worked on for years. I understand he finally did get the thing in the water.

I really like some areas of the east coast, there is so much history. What area do you live in?

There are several reasons for not being to open with identies. One is to make others guess who it is just to keep everyone quessing. Another is that this is an open site and if you give out your real name and home town to readily those that would do you wrong are given an opening.

The Owl thing Started with Dave Walstrom. He wore black rimmed glasses and therefore was given the "Owl" moniker. Since most of the rest of the family had the same glasses the name just stuck to all of them. Even the one that did not wear glasses. We used to call Dave's younger sister "Fem-Owl".

With all that has been posted about Mr. Granger I thought I had better post his picture.
Mr. Granger

Smeltfried
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:43 am:   

Susan, I believe Mrs. Picorney was the librarian. Great lady but didn't teach us much english from what I remember. Had a lot of fun in her class though. All the talk about Mr. Granger brings back a lot of good memories. A lot of fun was had in his classes also. Torg you definately are the picture man!

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   

I sure seem to remember there being something about a Mr Pocorney too. But then I have killed alot of brain cells over the years. Someone help me out here.

Glad you like the pictures Smeltfried. Got any you want to share? Or maybe there is something I have you would like to see.

Here is a an old one of the Shorecrest dining room. Spent more time in the bar myself.
shorecrest

Mad Max
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 5:26 am:   

Torggy is this the view from your bar stool? Pounding down some pops and still able to take a photo. It has been a few years since stopping in for a meal at the Shorecrest. Several years ago I stopped in for a dinner after a trip to Ely and driving down through Lake County. At this time you still received a good value for your money. (plenty to eat)

Note to Norma: I couldn't find the answer to your question.

Tailspin
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   

Hey Torggy!!

Nice pic of the Shorecrest. Sadly, its no longer the Shorecrest. New owners. Totally changed it both inside and out. No more standard fare on the menu. From what I heard its all quite spendy, small portions and most people can't pronounce any of it even if they wanted it! Drinks are small and cost $4.50. We haven't tried it ourselves yet. Not sure we will. I heard none of the long time employees got re-hired. Guess all the waitresses are petite blonds with substantial "attributes" shall we say. I think the new name of the place is Nakomis.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

Thanks for the update Tailspin. I had heard that the Shorecrest had changed hands but I guess I was in denial about it.

Shorecrest and the Forest Inn both gone and the Castle no longer owned by the Sternbergs, man, I gotta get home more often.

Speaking of Lake View Castle.
Lake View Castle

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   

Found this article in the Duluth paper:
Posted on Sun, Nov. 13, 2005

Buck shot in Clover Valley is among season's largest
BY SAM COOK
NEWS TRIBUNE OUTDOORS WRITER
Nick Turman didn't even get to hang his portable tree stand before he shot a buck on opening day of Minnesota's firearms deer season.
And the buck he shot must be among the largest taken so far in Northeastern Minnesota. It weighed 280 pounds, field-dressed, on a scale at Bill Bailey Taxidermy north of Duluth.
"It's not an impressive rack," said Turman, who lives in Clover Valley, between Duluth and Two Harbors. "It's just a huge body with a huge neck on it."
The buck's girth was 55 inches, Turman said, and the girth of a rear leg near the flank was 3 feet.
"And there's a lot of fat on the body," he said.
Turman, 58, said he had done preseason scouting looking for scrapes in the area, and he also hunts shed antlers in the spring. That research helps him decide where to hunt.
Turman didn't get an early start on opening day, heading into the woods at about 11:45 a.m. At his first two stand locations, he saw other hunters nearby, so he continued on for about half a mile to a place where he intended to hang a portable stand.
"I heard a deer jump, and I saw a doe running behind me," Turman said. "Then I heard this snort. I thought at first it was a hunter grunting, but then I could see antlers coming through the tall grass."
He dropped the buck with one shot from his .30-30 at about 1:45 p.m.
He'll have plenty of venison.
"And I have sled dogs. They'll get the scraps," Turman said.

Owl69
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   

Torggy - I'm finally back to the site. I had some catching up to do - it's great reading all these messages. Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure you must be very proud of your family, too. We were certainly impressed. From such humble beginnings, great things grow.

I noticed in Zeke's note, that he still remembers who his grade school teachers were. I had the same combo for the first 4 grades, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Mandeline, Mrs. Frink (3rd & 4th), then switched over to the brand new North Shore Elementary for Mrs. Magee in 5th, followed by TTT, "Terrible" Tom Travillion for 6th. Mr. Travillion provided the moniker. That was when I first learned that there were male teachers and they had first names! ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Cavaliers out there!

DOM
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   

Happy Thanksgiving to Torggy and the Mandelin sisters.

susan
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 7:43 am:   

I had a Mr.Treneau for math .....at Clover Valley .....is that the TTT man? I don't recall a Travillion....what did he teach. Perhaps he was gone by the time i arrived in 1969/70?????

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes. Hope everyones holiday was a good one.

Hope this helps everyone to remember who was who way back then.
tranah
trevillon

susan
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

NOW I remeber MR Trevillion...oh my gosh, without the pictures I would have never rembered him on my own and would have never remembered Mr. Tranah's 'real' last name!. I do now, however, THANKS!!!
What was the name of the principle who was rather short and stout?
to reply to Norma Lindquist....I remember Mrs Ahlberg....gave me my first big role in the 6th grade production of "Cowboy on the Moon" opposite Kippy Kypers. I STILL remember my big solo..."Pretty Little Pinafore" (sp?)she also taught me how to play the clarinet way back then too, though I never kept up with it.
I,too, had Mrs. Brown, Mrs.Mandolin, ....don't recall much after that....A Mr Barber, whom I had a big ol' 10 year old crush on....Mr Carlson, who seemed the tallest man in the world to me then, A Mrs. Driscoll......

Torggy
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

That would have been Mr. Ben Borken
Mr. Borken

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:17 am:   

Mr G referred Borken as "The Man". You would see the top of his head when he was outside your room. Mr G would be nervous when "The Man" would be walking the hallways.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   

A week ago Monday I got to spend the evening watching the Vikes beat the Packers on Monday night football with John (Dale) Nylen who was my old neighbor when I was growing up in French River, Turns out he lives 45 minutes from me. He just graduated high school as I was moving into the neighborhood. I graduated with his brother Al, who has since passed away. John spent many years in the Coast Guard and we had a great time visiting and reminiscing about the old days in French River.

I got quite a lesson in the who is related to who department of the area. I realize now that it all seems to boil down to the Sundstroms and who they married. Never really know how inter-related some of the neighborhood was. Could explain allot of things,LOL!!

I was amazed at how much history John knew of the area. I hope that in the future he well share some of that knowledge with us.

Anyway John told me about a small paper called the "LANDMARKS". It was published in the late 80's and early 90's highlighting the French River and North Shore area. He had three issues of the paper all published in 1988. He was gracious enough to allow me to take them with me so I could scan them and post some of the articles.

It says that the editor was Patti Hellman with Lynne Compton as co-editor. I plan on posting a few articles and hope that Patti and Lynne do not mind.

That said here is an article I found rathe interesting:
Bob Libby

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   

Had to split up the pic. It was to big to post all at once.
Bob Libby 2

chris
Posted on Monday, December 5, 2005 - 12:58 am:   

This is Chris from'76 again. Sorry to have been away so long, my job gets very demanding this time of year, plus I'm a hockey mom of two bantam players this year, so that takes up the rest of my time....

Anyways, no I don't live in Duluth anymore, but still live in northern Minnesota. I'll get more specific when I know who's asking and/or get an email to reply to you Mad Max.

Webman, thanks for the reunion info, check your email for my reply.

Chris
Posted on Monday, December 5, 2005 - 1:08 am:   

To Susan Birks, did you realize that Mrs. Pokorny was Tom Brown's aunt?? He told me back in high school, but I went out with him again a couple of years ago, and one late night after the blues festival I met the whole Pokorny clan. It was so fun to tell her kids some of the stories about her. Like letting us play "Stairway to Heaven" at full volume in the library, or how mad she got after a "nature walk" when we brought all the cattails back into the school and exploded all of them in the halls!

Hope you're having fun with your family at the beginning of the holidays! I do want to stay in touch with you this time, and will make a better effort between now and next summer to regulary chat before the reunion.

Hope it's warmer there than here!!

chris
Posted on Monday, December 5, 2005 - 1:11 am:   

Forgot to ask, does anyone know where Brian Seckinger wound up??

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Monday, December 5, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   

Hi---Norma Lindqust here. Just thought I'd let anyone who is interested know about the ShoreCrest/Nokomis. Bill and I had lunch there a week ago---first and last time. Of 12 items on the menu (no prices given) I recognized #12---meat loaf--so that's what we ordered. The plate arrived with a cone-shaped half cup of very dry mashed potatoes---no butter, no gravy---and with a thingie stuck in the middle of it--looked like a potato chip with holes. Beside this creation was a spoonful of jelly. The meat loaf was a hamburger covered with about 4 thick slices of onion rings. This sat on the veggie which was green peas---mashed. For those of you who have had children and changed diapers---well, you get the picture of the mashed green peas. Most disgusting to look at and not much better to eat. Anyhow, that was lunch---half cup of dry mashed potatoes, jelly, hamburger disguised as meat loaf and regurgitated green peas---plus 2 cups of coffee. All for the price of $27.16. I wish I had told the woman in charge that in the Midwest, a round serving of meat is a hamburger---meat loaf is made in a loaf pan and sliced. And as for the waitresses----I didn't notice anything in particular about their "attributes." Anyhow, if we're lucky, there will be a better place to eat soon. I hear that Comptom's will be opening a place on the Homestead Road and expressway--I don't know when. It will be needed out here.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   

Thanks for the update on the new resturant Norma. Does not sound like it is the kind of place for us old North Shore folk. To bad. Wonder where all the people that used to frequent the bar there are going now.

For some of you that might have missed it there was an article in the paper about the new safe harbor at McQuade road. Here is a link to it.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/13347506.htm

ZEKE
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   

Hi Norma, Jake Schmidt (zeke) here. It was disturbing to hear about the food and service at Shorecrest. Sounds like what I'm told happened to the old Johnsons drive-in not far from there? My parents went to Shorecrest regularly for lunch and dinner. Was a favorite trip to drive up the shore from Westwood in Duluth to eat there and enjoy the scenery on the way, and watch the lake while inside.
Do you still live up the road from Delores Abrahamson? I saw her this summer at my folks apartment just after Dad passed away.
And, do you know if Mrs. Frink is still living on the Ryan road? Does she have e-mail?

Torggy
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   

It takes to long for some of these threads to load let alone scroll down through. So I like to close them at 100 posts.

Sure thought someone was gonna answer Zeke though.

Lets start trying to post on another thread.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration