Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile    
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Clover Valley Forum * Welcome * The latest from up the shore < Previous Next >

Torggy
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   

Hope everyone has a merry and safe Christmas no matter where your travels may go.
snow globe

Torggy
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   

Got another short article for the March 1988 landmark.

what ever

Norma L.
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:55 am:   

Merry Christmas to all. I did answer Jake's note, but it must have gone somewhere into cyberspace. Hi Jake---It was nice to hear from you. Yes, we still live on the hill and plan to for years to come. Even though Bill isn't up to doing very much around the house and yard, Ann and family take care of the lawn and snow for us. I've learned how to shovel snow, too---good exercise. Mrs. Frink lives alone now. John died last spring. Jeff is out in Montana, but Clarion wanted to stay in familiar surroundings. Lots of changes out here over the years. Many people moving in--Duluth Township has been discovered, and there are new homes and driveways everywhere. Take care one and all and have a wonderful 2006. Keep this site going---it's a wonderful place for memories. Jake, I remember your parents from when I went to UMD. I went to the Anglican Church on Superior Street--no longer in existence. I believe that St. Edward's replaced it. Anyhow, I was singing away one Sunday morning when your Dad introduced himself and invited me to join the choir. I did for the one year I lived in Duluth and enjoyed it. Imagine my surprise some years later when I went downstairs at Bloomingdale to a PTA meeting and saw your folks come in. They must have moved out here about the same time as we did.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 - 9:38 am:   

Hope everyone had a good new years.

I found this picture of the old Anderson Grocery at the corner of the Ryan road and Hwy 61. I can remember going in for candy before it burned down. It says the picture was taken in 1963. Looks like the Ryan road is still dirt in the picture. 1963 was the year we moved into my grandparents house just down the road. I do not remember the Ryan road being dirt at that time. Anyone remember what year the Ryan was paved?

Anderson Grocery

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   

Hi--Norma L. here---I believe the Ryan was paved in 1957 or 1958. I know that we moved here in 1955, and it was a dirt road at that time. We blew many a tire on the way to Clover Valley School, especially when the crew began the paving. The road was big rocks, and tires weren't all that good at the time. I have pictures taken of the road in front of Bloomingdale when the road was still dirt. Not too many years ago Ryan was torn up again--this time to take out some deep dips in the road in the area of David Erickson's place----by the bridge.....

Torggy
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 8:57 am:   

Clover Valley graduate dies

Martha A. Olson, 87, Two Harbors, Minn., died Saturday, Jan. 14, 2006, at the Sunrise Home. She was born Jan. 13, 1919, to Alexander and Marie (Granlund) Johnson in Duluth, MN. She grew up in Clover Valley and graduated from Clover Valley High School. She attended Duluth State Teachers College and later graduated from UMD with a degree in Elementary Education. She then taught at Lake Superior School District for 20 years. She was a member of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Alpha Delta Kappa Sorority, and Women of the Moose. She is preceded in death by parents; husband Raymond; daughter Janice; four brothers; and two sisters. Martha is survived by sons Bruce (Ginger) Olson and Gary (Tammi) Olson of Eagan, Minn.; daughter Sandra (Gene) Magnuson of Two Harbors; sister Gladys Krall of Roseville, Minn., six grandchildren; and six great grandchildren. VISITATION:12:30 p.m. until the 1:30 service Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006 in Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Two Harbors. Burial at Lakeview Cemetery, Two Harbors. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers memorials preferred to Lake County DAC, and to Two Harbors Ministerial Hospital and Nursing Home Chaplaincy Fund c/o Pastor James Joseph or to the Two Harbors Public Library.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 1/16/2006

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   

Some time ago someone mentioned Ruralaires and didn't know what it was. It was a group of the local residents who enjoyed singing. Ann Albright from Duluth organized it, but that was before my time. Al Ness, former CV coach, teacher and then principal, was the director when we moved here. Herb and Ellen Johnson belonged, Patty Sheldon Lundgren's parents, Mrs. Sunde, Einar Abrahamson, Mrs. Winberg, Cecelia Jackson, Julian Aunan and his wife---I can't remember all of them. Operettas were performed plus concerts. After Mr. Ness quit directing, a woman from Duluth came out for a year or so, but the group feel apart not long after that. I found a photo from 1955 and will try to scan it.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   

Norma sent me this picture of the Ruralaires.
ruralaires with Norma

Norma is on the left, Bayne Brown is standing behind and Marlene Sunde is on the right.

Seeing this picture of Norma I now understand why Mr. Lindquist was always so eager to get home.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   

I also found this picture of the Ruralaires in 1949.
ruralaires 1949

Seems the group underwent many changes over the years.

SOBE
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   

JUST BY CHANCE I CAME ACROSS THIS WEDSITE. ALTHOUGH IT SEEMS I AM OLDER THEN MOST OF YOU I THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW HOW NICE IT IS TO SEE ALL OF THE PICTURES OF MOST OF MY OLD TEACHERS. I WENT TO BLOOMINGDALE SCHOOL AND MOST EVERY DAY I WOULD RING THE RECESS BELL (LIGHT SWITCH ON THE WALL) I HAD TO STAND ON A CHAIR. I GRADUATED FROM CV BEFORE IT CLOSED. I SEE MOST OF YOU ARE KEEPING IT A SECRET OF WHO YOU ARE SO I WILL DO THE SAME (YOU CAN JUST CALL ME "SOBE".)

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:33 am:   

Welcome SOBE,
It is nice that you found this little piece of the Valley. Hopefully you will share some stories of your school days. I am sure Torggy feels the same way.

Hey Norma how are things?

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 8:56 am:   

Great to hear from you SOBE and thanks to Max for putting out the welcome mat.

There are some of us that do not keep our ID to secret. I have been able to reconnect with a couple of people because of this site. It's been great.

SOBE, I love the story about ringing the recess bell, got any more stories of Bloomingdale or CV? What year did you graduate? Any particular thing you would like to hear about or pictures you woulld like to see? How about a hint as to who your are?

SOBE
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:47 am:   

I already gave you a hint! Just keep putting up the pictures and writing about CV it's enjoyable to read. If any of you see Mr. Lindquist please tell him SOBE says hello and I wish him the best.
Thanks.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   

Well I guess the hint has gone completly over my head. But then lots of thing do. Glad ya like the site. Wish I could get some more people to post. You got any CV stories you wish to share?

Norma reads the site quite often, I am sure she will relay your best wishes.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   

Thank you, Torggy, for the comment on why Mr. Lindquist was in a hurry to get home after school. However, I must be honest and tell you that it was not always that way. On a rare day in winter I would need the car, and he would have to ride with someone else. Making our driveway was a challenge (still is) in the winter, and invariably, I only made it half-way up and would have to back down. Backing down was not one of my strong suits (along with parallel parking), and I would usually bury the car in the snow-filled ditch. Bill would come home from school, see the car and know that he had to get out there and start shoveling. He was NOT Mr. Cheerful on those days. I would meet him at the door with a cup of hot coffee, fix his favorite meal for supper, and warn the children to be "nice to Daddy." Needless to say, I didn't use the car very often!!! Now he has to depend on me for transportation---that's a real payback!!!.........Hi Mad Max---We're doing fine--and congratulations on your wedding anniversary. Amazing how fast the years go by, isn't it? ....Greetings to you, SOBE, and I passed your message on to Bill. Did you go to Bloomingdale during the years that we lived upstairs? I guess we all need more hints.......For those who might not have known, Martha Olson, former CVite who recently passed away, was a sister to Melvin Johnson --father of Betty Johnson Poe and Barbara Johnson Anderson........

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:30 am:   

It has been a while since I have shared a story. Never going to the old Bloomingdale (too young)but North Shore was another matter.

I remember one time playing steal the flag, out behind the school, along the woods. We would hide in the woods to sneak up on the other flag. Durning one game I ended up going to far to east. I am unsure how far I went. I found an old Volkswagon micro bus/van. I don't remember if any one else was with me.I hear someone call the game is over. It seem like a long walk back to the school. I did this in the 6th grade.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:15 am:   

Funny story Norma, hard to imagine that old Bill might not be always cheerful, not. LOL

He was a real blessing one time I remember. Once when he was the shop teacher and we were using the table saw, Owl 69 reached across the blade. I still remember seeing his finger getting cut and the blood spray. I panicked and ran across the shop to the boiler room where the teachers quite often sat while we worked to look for MR. Lindquist. As I shouted his name he said my name and as I turned to the sound of his voice I realized he was standing beside Owl with Owl's finger already wrapped in his handkerchief. Fortunately for Owl it was only a small cut that although it did require stitches did not have lasting effects.

Thanks for the update on the extended Johnson family. I would never have known.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:22 am:   

Max, I wonder if that old bus is still out there.

Max was nice enough to send me some pictures of the new Safe Harbor project at the end of McQuade road. While some, like myself, still question the goals of the project it has non-the-less occured. This has brought many changes to that area.

I like this one the best. It is a picture of the Safe Harbor under construction with Max in the forground, Wearing his old CV lettermans jacket. A real blast from the past. I love it!
safe harbor

Marie Ward
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   

Hello, all you chatty people. I'm not a classmate, but I am looking for a 1967 grad of CVHS, Ron Carlson, to return something that I borrowed 25 years ago. If you know how to find him, tell him I am looking for him, and he should contact my brother Bill, who still lives in Duluth. Thanks for any help you can give, Marie

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   

Hope your search is successfull Marie.

Max sent me this picture of the Safe Harbor. Sure seems like an exposed stretch of shore line to to be called a Safe harbor. Oh well, sure looks interesting in the setting sun. Warmer day with boats going in and out it could look even better.
safe harbor

zeke
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   

Great pics of the safe harbor. What will happen to Senic 61?

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

The way I understand it, not having actually been there, is that first they dug a hole across Hwy 61. Then built a bridge over it. The idea being to have the parking lot where the old Fish Fry was and the boat landing on the other side of the road connected by an access road under the Hwy.

So I imagine the road has changed considerably.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:49 am:   

This site gets lots of visits but it would seem that those of the CV and French River area do not have much to say.

Found this little article in the News Tribune.

News Tribune Feb. 17, 1986
• Duluth truck driver David Claveau was honored yesterday at the Daytona 500 in Florida as part of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. national Highway Hero program. Claveau helped care for three seriously injured people at the scene of a traffic accident south of Spooner last May.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 7:57 am:   

Hi Torggy---I remember reading that article about David Claveau in the paper. He died on Apr. 27, 2002 in case you hadn't heard.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   

WOW! I did not know that.That's way to bad. There are not enough of us CVers around now. We can hardly afford to lose to many so early in life.

Thanks for the information Norma. I mean, right down to the date. How do you know all this?

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   

Hi Torggy---I remembered reading in the paper about David's death but didn't recall the exact date. I went on the SSDI and there it was. (SSDI is the Social Security Death Index.) Amazing what you can find out about people on the Internet. Somehow, something stays in my mind about a punishment meted out at the North Shore School by a substitute teacher. For some reason, I think the student was David C. but I can't say for positive. Anyhow, the student was a discipline problem, and this sub wrapped him from head to toe in masking tape. As I recall, she was not asked back. Maybe someone who was in that class would remember the incident.

erinwenneson
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   

I don't know if this is anywhere else on this site, but here is a link to the Duluth Township newsletter...they have a website that this is from:

http://www.duluthtownship.org/pdf/Nov2005_Newsletter.pdf

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

Thanks for the link! It was fun to read the news letter. I had forgotten all about the Duluth Township web site. Gonna have to check in on it more often.

See it at:
http://www.duluthtownship.org/

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 9:17 am:   

If there is anyone out there who went to school in Two Harbors with the Arntsen boys, both of them have died. Jeff died in 1986 in a car accident, and Greg, age 41, just died. From what I was told, he went into a diabetic coma with no one around to help and was dead when found. What is so sad, these were the only 2 boys in the family----no girls---- and the dad, Bill Arntsen who was a guidance counselor at Minniehaha, has had Parkinsons's Disease for years.

erinwenneson
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   

Greg was a year ahead of me. We were in an accounting class together. He was a really nice guy. Played basketball. I was wondering what happened to him. There seems to be a lot of ailments for the people around my age. Brenda Morgan, who is a good friend of mine and has an older brother named Jeff, that probably went to CV, has MS. Lynda Hill got diabetes in HS. Another one of my TH friends a year younger has got some eye disease which is the first sign of MS as well. Kelly McNaughton, older sibs went to CV, had a daughter a few years ago, but continues to struggle with her diabetes.

erinwenneson
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   

By the way, Norma, I still play flute and vividly remember the first lesson you gave me in 1976. I still play flute with the Chum Church choir (choir consisting of mentally and physically challenge adults). We went up to a nursing home in Piedmont yesterday so they could sing to residents. Allen Olsen still plays guitar also with them.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   

Hi Erin----How nice to read about you and to know you continued on the flute. My brave attempts at passing on a love of music must have achieved some goals!!!! Yvonne gave up the cornet after high school. Hopefully, her children will take up where she left off. Kelly McNaughton's little girl will be in kindergarten this fall. Kelly married our Ann's brother in law, Bill Cox, and Sydney was born on Ann's birthday---nice present for an aunt. Do you remember Art Anderson? I heard from him a couple of times last fall and just after Christmas. He's living in the Cities---married but no family. Said he'd better hurry up since he's going to be 40........Take care. Norma L.

Susan Birks
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 8:55 am:   

Chris, I've been a bit preoccupied.....how are the plans for reunion coming?

How fun to have met Mrs. P's clan. I remember listening to Cheech and Chong down in the cafeteria, too.

Would love to know how to e-mail Tom Brown....

could you e-mail me that?

I love reading Norma's comments and stories...

I love, too, the pictures of the ryan road before it was paved....I remember the day that store burned down.....and the person inside having to go through the window to get out....It was a cold, winter day.....I think Zeke was with the volunteer fire dept that day??????could be wrong.

Greenwood lane was always so inviting....never paved, I think of all the times I walked that road from the time I was allowed to walk down it alone (when I was 5 or 6 i think) to meet my dad coming home from work.....he would drop off this lady...i can see her but can't recall her name(she had two daughters>>>Zeke, help me out here)
and i would get as far down Greenwood as i caould before seeing him...he'd pick me up and I would sit on his lap and drive the old Ford station wagon home from that point. He'd be a smokin'those filterless cigs and smell like hard work and oil.
Greenwood also had the most amazing wild flowers along side the road in the ditches. Wild roses and the sweetest tasting bluebells anywhere in the world!!!!!And they were HUGE!

What ever happened to the Miller girls....Sandra Miller was in my class? They lived on Greenwood.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 8:27 am:   

Blanche Torgeson, 76, died Monday, Feb. 27, 2006. She was born on Sept. 11, 1929, to Ila and Oscar Stromberg. Blanche grew up with three sisters and one brother in Palmers, a place she dearly loved and referred to as home throughout her life. She attended Clover Valley High School and graduated in 1948. In 1950 she married the love of her life, William 'Red' Torgeson. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Clover Valley where they spent many happy years. She was a member of French River Lutheran Church. Blanche was a devoted and loving wife, mother and grandmother. She will be sadly missed. Blanche was preceded in death by her husband, Red; her parents; brother, Joe and a sister, Lois. She is survived by daughters, Debbie (John) Lundblad, Redwood Falls and Jan (Dave) LeVasseur, Duluth; granddaughters, Erin, Jodi, Sherri, Chelsea, and Amanda; great-granddaughters, Annika and Kate; loving sisters, Burt and Esther; and many wonderful nieces and nephews. The family extends a special thank you to Monica and the staff in Mabel's House at Edgewood Vista. VISITATION:1 p.m. until the 2 p.m. funeral service Friday, March 3, in French River Lutheran Church. Burial will be at Palmers Lakeview Cemetery, in the spring. The family would prefer memorials directed to French River Lutheran Church.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 3/1/2006.

Susan Birks
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   

Blessings,condolences and prayers for your family and friends!

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   

Susan you are very kind. However I guess I did not realize that this might create some confusion. The obit posted above is not related to me.

I did go to school with the Debbie listed above as a surviving daughter though. All the teachers thought we were brother and sister. Till Debbie and I set them straight in the manner. Of course we thought that even the thought of something like that was horriable. Funny how you look at things in high school.

I know we all share Susan's Blessings,condolences and prayers for the Torgeson family.

Mad Max
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   

I took a drive up the shore to Two Harbors last week. Not much has happen at the safe harbor. So many changes has happen to land scape along the shore. A home is now slammed into the lot where the old Forest Inn once stood. I didn't drive down Greenwood road (maybe next time). Here are a few of the changes.

Walter Johnson's old bus garage is still there. I wonder if what happen to that old short stubby bus. While going to grade school I always wondered if the bus would make it up Ryan road hill below the tracks. This is where Schmitt's house once stood. Does Zeke have that cement boat?

A few of the old Wonderland cabins are still standing but a new large house now is on the that piece of land.

Old Johnson's Drive Inn is still serving food but I forget the name. They appeared to have a nice bunch of cars parked in the parking lot.

The Shorecrest has been remodeled and really looks different.

susan birks
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

My Father's boat was sold years ago and those who purchased scuttled it on the north shore for future scuba divers to journey to. I still do not know how I feel about that...bittersweet I guess. I tell my kids that they can go see it when ever they like and that's rather cool!

I've been back to 30 Ryan Road twice and still can't believe that great old house is no longer there. I remember my mother and I waiting at the tracks for the passenger train to stop and we would ride to Lakeside to visit my grandmother! That is such a GREAT memory.
Sitting on the cement porch, watching the neighbors go by, car after car, waving, chatting. Yelling at Phil Hawkinson (phil? was it)as He rode by on the peddle, motorcycle.... and my father teaching me to yell "get a horse"...so bad!!!

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   

Hi Mad Max----Old Johnson's Drive-In was bought by the Fox family, and they ran it for many years. It is now owned by a woman who calls herself "Rita B." She was Rita Calton, but there could have been a divorce. They lived on the Homestead Road, I believe, and had 2 boys---the eldest ended up at the Northwoods Children's Home, and I don't know what happened to him after that. He was totally unmanageable as a child. When he was in 6th grade and in Mrs. Frink's class, the parents came for a conference. The father looked at Mrs. F. and said, "I thought he would be having a younger teacher." Needless to say, Mrs. F. was quite insulted. Anyhow, Rita B. owns the drive in now, and I've heard that the food is edible, expensive, and fancy----a far cry from McDonald's and Hardee's!!!! NL

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   

It is called the Scenic Cafe now. They even have a web site. http://www.sceniccafe.com/

Used to have great fun there when it was Johnson's Drive Inn. Watched Jim Brown do wheelies with his Mustang several times. Many said that car was going to be the death of him. Unfortunately that turned out to be true.

Susan that must be tough knowing your fathers boat is at the bottom of the lake. He worked on it for so many years. But what a unique boat to create such a unique attraction.

Max, thanks for the tour up the shore. Here is what Wonderland looked like when my parents met there for the first time. Mom was a waitress and Dad was just back from WWII.
wonderland

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, March 5, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   

Found this article in the May 1988 landmark provided by John Nylen. Thanks John! I know many of you knew this guy. Due to file size limitations this post well be in two parts.
ken hendrickson retirement

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, March 5, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   

Part II
ken hendrickson 2

Perry
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 5:28 am:   

Good Morning,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I graduated from Clover Valley in 1969. Many of you are a couple of years younger than me.

A number of CV graduates are using the Classmates.com site, and they may be interested to know about this one.

To Marie Ward, sadly, my classmate Ron Carlson died in a work-related accident a number of years ago.

I appreciated seeing the article about Kenny Hendrickson. His daughter Christine lives not too far from me in NW Wisconsin, but I have to admit I have not been in touch with her for some time.

Gary "Gronk" Nesgoda was a friend from the neighborhood; I should look him up some day.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:50 am:   

Perry, I am also a 1969 CV grad. Drop me an email and let me know who you are. My email is at the bottom of the main page.

Thanks for the memory jog. Rod Carlson was killed in a construction accident in the cities some time in the 1980's I think.

If anyone has access to the Classmate,com site let the folks there know about this place. Thought about joining the place myself in the past. I might still.

Perry
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   

Okay, so it was too early for me to be keying straight, and I see my mistake. I graduated in 1967, not 1969. Really WANTED to be younger, I guess.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:53 am:   

Perry,I was wondering how that worked out. Where abouts do you live in NW Wisconsin? I really like that part of the country. Especially around Siren and that area. Siren took a real hit by a tornado a couple years ago. How is it doing these days?

My family was fairly good friends with the Carlson family. Serene was in the same grade as I was and Danny was a couple years younger, Ron a couple years older. I think there were some siblings younger than that but thats all I remember. When Melvin sold the farm and moved down to the shore Danny just kind of stayed with the place. Last I heard and this could have changed, he was married to the woman that bought the place. For quite awhile he brought farm fresh eggs to my parents. Have to ask them if that is still going on.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   

Here is a picture from that May issue of the landmark.
6th grade class

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   

The other half of the 6th grade class. I guess I should explain that this is the 1978 graduating class shown in the 6th grade.
6th grade 2

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   

And a real plus is a story to go with it!
6th grade story

Perry
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   

Torggy,

My wife and I live outside of Cumberland, a half hour drive through the country from Siren. I don't get over there too often, but it seems that they recovered from the tornado.

We've lived here for about five years. Our two sons graduated from high school at St. Paul Central, and our daughter spent her last two high school years at Cumberland High School, which is about one sixth the size of St. Paul Central, and twice the size that Clover Valley was in the 60's. She hated me for taking her away from her childhood friends in St. Paul. Within a few weeks her new demands included a snowmobile, a grouse gun, and a fishing rod.

Perry

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:09 am:   

OOHH!! I am in deep envy. Sounds like you enjoy it there. Must have been a real culture shock for the daughter. Her new demands sound way better than what she could have found in the Twin Cities.

I think I was in the same class as your sister Carol. If I remember right she went 7th grade through 12th without missing a day of school. Or something like that.

Weren't you in the same class as Marion James? There was a high energy guy.

Perry
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:30 am:   

My sister Carol graduated in 1969. She retired about a year ago, and lives in suburban Denver. She comes to the Duluth area every year or so to visit, and has been considering relocating to Minnesota.

Marion James was with us in CV for just a few years. His step-dad was a minister, Baptist I think, who went to another church in Fosston, MN in 1966, between our junior and senior years. Marion was an athlete. He went to Bethel College in St. Paul, and as a freshman he died after an accident on the football practice field. He is buried in Lakeview Cemetery. I remember the graveside service; we were quite a few people there, and we felt a great sense of loss. What happened to his siblings? I remember he had a sister Marilee who was one or two years younger, and then some much younger ones.

zeke
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   

Perry,
Did you grow up on the Holmstead Road? I think our Dads met out deer hunting and hunted together for many years.

Perry
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 5:11 am:   

Zeke,
Yes, that's right. They hunted together through the 60's.

Zeke
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:47 am:   

Perry,
I remember your Dads sauna, it was always so hot but so great! How they could stay on the upper bench was beyond me. It was either Friday or Sat. nights (I think) that we would go up and sauna. I also remember the great tunnels you and your sister had through the hay loft in the barn! Verticals, horizontals, slants, multi layered and crossing! My girls have heard those stories many times. Great memories.

Owl69
Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   

I've been away from the site for a while - too long, I think. Great hearing from Perry, our center on the CV basketball team. Perry, I seem to recall you dunking the ball once or twice during practice. I was in your sister Carol's class along with Torggy. By the way, I think Carol is a little young for retirement - must have made her fortune already. ;-)

Torrgy, you still remember my accident with the table saw in shop class. Good memory. Got some stitches that day. It was my left index finger. Still have the scar tissue to show for it. We were learning to split boards by cutting them in half down the width. I was using a push stick to guide it, but my piece of wood started riding up off the table. Without thinking (obviously) I reached out with my left hand and push the board back down. Unfortunately, my finger was directly over the blade as it came through the top of the wood. Made a mess of my fingerprint. I've been a lot more careful with power tools since then. After he got my finger wrapped up, Mr. Lindquist checked the height of the saw blade to make sure it did not exceed the depth of my wood by more than 1/4 inch. It was within the safety guidelines. Good thing, too, or I would probably have lost the end of my finger.

Sobe - we do tend to use nicknames on this site a lot, but mostly it's because those are the names we grew up with. Maybe it was because of the small, close knit community - but it seems like most people went by a nickname of some sort. My last name is Wahlstrom, so I went by Wally and Wally Gator for a while, until the Owl moniker was hung on my older brother and spread across our entire clan of 5 brothers and one sister. I went to Bloomingdale - was in the last class to "graduate" from there. (I actually have a "diploma" signed by the teachers and Jack, our janotor.) I can't remember who used to ring the bell. ...but I remember it as the "tardy bell." I lived on the farm next door and walked to school. I missed getting there on time once or twice.

In my 4 years at Bloomdale I only rode the bus once. Kenny Hendrickson gave me ride home on his bus one time because there was a major thunderstorm going on. He probably diverted from his normal route to give me a lift. I think it was the norm for teachers, cooks, bus drivers, and janitors to go beyond their regular roles when the need was there. That was a benefit of being part of a small community.

I had Ken Hendrickson as my regular bus driver during 5th and 6th grade at North Shore Elementary. In that article earlier, Ken joked about tolerating noise on the bus over the years. I remember him stopping the bus one time and laying down the law, though. I think the kids respected him for that.

Some years later, when I was in high school, I was driving my dad's pickup home from some activity at school during the winter. In those days, the Homestead Road and the Korrki were joined with a banked curve. On that particular day the curve was coated with ice. I tried to come out of that curve but the truck had other ideas. I slid across the on-coming lane and buried the truck in a ditch full of snow. My dad wasn't home at the time and I was more than a little nervous about what he would have to say about the accident. My dad had quite a temper sometimes. As I recall, I walked a couple miles home and called Ken to see if he could pull the truck out with the school bus. He sent his son Dan (another member of our 1969 class) over in a pickup full of wood in the back and we managed to pull my Dad's truck back onto the road. I know Ken bumped into my dad now and again, but I don't think Ken ever mentioned that incident to him. I was grateful of that.

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 12:38 am:   

Owl it's great to hear from you. Ya know I have also been careful around saws since I witnessed your little accident. Try not to be such a stranger.

Thought some of you might like to see this ad.
cv store ad

Mad Max
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   

Spring is in the air. The shore is full of trout fishermen. Years ago the end of April would be smelt season. All night parties and drunken smelters. Sucker river would have a bunch of guys from St. Cloud camping in tents. One year smelt season made national news. Local people loosing picnic tables along with other things. That one guy in Knife River with barbwire around his yard along the river. How many CVers would had spent some time at the streams smelting. Maybe having a beer or stealing someones beer? I am sure even Torggy made a trip down to French River during smelting.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   

I had more fun during smelting season than I could write about here. French river was a blast. We used to run up from the river yelling "the smelt are running, the smelt are running". Then as the guys would pick up their nets and run towards the river we would pick up their beer and head the other way. Heh, heh, heh.

Here is a fun article about the old days of smelting.

When smelt were king
Doug Smith, Star Tribune

It was called a Minnesota rite of spring. Thousands of wader-clad souls with long-handled dip nets flocked each April to the Duluth area of Lake Superior to net bucketloads of spawning smelt. The event was both celebrated and cursed, because some boorish participants left behind garbage, piles of dead fish and ill will. But for good or bad, those heady days are over.

Smelting in the 'good ol' days'

Russ Francisco grew up in Duluth and remembers when "the smelt are running!" was a cry that caused thousands of folks from around the state to wade -- sometimes elbow to elbow -- into Lake Superior streams to net tiny smelt by the pailful.

See the included pictures and the rest of the article at:
http://www.startribune.com/531/story/351190.html

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   

Found this in the Duluth paper.

John 'Jack' Mindestrom, 56, of French River, died unexpectedly of a brain aneurysm, on Sunday, April 9, 2006 at St. Lukes Hospital. Jack was born Jan. 28, 1950 to Lenard and Alma Mindestrom at St. Luke's Hospital. He grew up in French River and graduated from Clover Valley High School. He proudly served with the U.S. Army in Battery C, 1st Battalion, 39th Artillery in Vietnam. He married Heather (Libby) in 1972, and settled two miles up the North Shore. Jack loved his home, his yard, the lake, and most of all, canoeing with his wife and his dog. On occasion, he enjoyed a cold beer, prime rib off his grill, and Jelly Bellys. He was a 32 year member of Sheet Metal Local 10 and was employed at Jamar for 32 years as a journeyman sheet metal worker. He was also a member of French River Lutheran Church. Jack was preceded in death by his mother; two brothers; his sister; and mother-in-law, Naomi Libby. He is survived by his wife, Heather; children, Heidi E. (Benjamin Madsen) of Crested Butte, Colo., and Eric of Two Harbors; father, Lenard (Dorothy) of French River; brothers, Warren of Freemont, Calif., Dan (Sharon) of Two Harbors, and Dean of French River; father-in-law, Robert J. Libby Jr. of French River; brothers-in-law, David (Michelle) Libby, Greg (Kay) Libby, and Robert James Libby, all of French River; sister-in-law, Diane (Paul) Peterson of French River, and many nieces and nephews. Jack also is survived by his faithful companion, Snoose and grand dogs, Greta of Crested Butte, Colo., and Roscoe of Two Harbors. VISITATION:10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. service Wednesday, April 12, 2006 in French River Lutheran Church. In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials to French River Lutheran Church. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 4/11/2006.

Berg73
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   

Just heard about this site and my song lyrics - Max, you have a better memory than I do. It really brings back some memories. I made those songs up while riding Niilo's bus - were you there?

Torggy
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 8:45 am:   

Welcome Berg. So you are the one that made up the songs, eh? Glad ya found the site. Got any other stories of old CV you would like to share?

Mad Max
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   

Hey there Berg 73.

Yes, one year I rode Niilo's bus. What about the words to "Buzz saw time"?

This is all I can remember:

It is buzz saw time again you need a haircut.

I can tell by the way the bangs are hanging in your eyes.

I can tell by the way you drive the ditchess.

You must be a prevert in disguise.

2nd verse

Your wife lives in the back yard with the chipmunks........

That is all I can remember of that little diddy. Maybe you remember more as the composer of this song.

Berg73
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   

The first verse looks right, this is what I remember from the 2nd one

You've got an ugly dog,you think she's your wife,
She bites you every night when you come home
She lives out on the porch near the bushes
Don't go near her when she's alone

I think that's the end of that song (that's probably a good thing)

Another thing I remember about riding Niilo's bus was the time someone was playing with a lighter - maybe Chris Lee - and he lit Sharmon Cox's hair on fire.

Then in '68 on the last day of school, Chris Lee brought raw bacon on the bus and threw it at Niilo while he was driving.

Poor Niilo, he sure earned his paycheck.

Owl71
Posted on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   

Still you could go too far even with Niilo. I remember him telling Ginny? Matheson that she would have to find her own way to get to school because she was such a trouble on the bus.
I too went to Bloomingdale. I remember the traditional attaching of tongue to the metal monkeybars. Having to run in to get some warm water to detach the tongue from the metal. I was always willing to accept that my tongue would freeze to that metal but apparently there were a lot of rebels.
Hello Norma, live gets hectic and suddenly a long time has passed. I do remember Catechism lessons with you and Anne above Bloomingdale. Well at least I remember having the lessons, I'm afraid what I learned has degraded over the years.
Good old Bloomingdale with the desks on sleighrunners (well they looked that way anyway). First grade was Mrs. Brown, who was on second? I remember that it had three rooms and two of them could be combined by opening the folding doors.
And then North Shore Elementary. A new school with seperate desks and Mrs. Kimble for 3rd grade. Obviously (with hindsight) she had some Montesorri influence since she would regularly have us shifting the desks into different groups. And then 4th, 5th and 6th with Mrs. Wihlminen. Taught the three r's reading, riting and rithmetic. Her stories about teaching out on the prarie were always wonderful.
Does anyone know what happened to Darrell Johnson? Lived on Greenwood had an older brother and sister and a younger brother. He moved off to Alaska sometime after graduation. Ring any bells? I'll try to make checking this site a more regular thing in the future.

Torggy
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   

Great to hear from another Owl. I used to know the Johnson family but lost touch with them just out of high school.

Found this in the Duluth paper:

Dawn M. (Laine) Smith, 50, of Two Harbors, Minn., died unexpectedly on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at home. She was born July 24, 1955 to Charles and Gladys (Johnson) Carlisle in Minneapolis. After moving to Two Harbors, she graduated from Clover Valley High School. She was a waitress and hostess through the years at the Lake View Castle and Vanilla Bean. She also worked at the Champion Home in Duluth as a nurses aide. She enjoyed crafts, bingo, gardening, and fishing. She is preceded in death by her father, Charles; and daughter, Faith Laine. Dawn is survived by her very special friend, Al Nordin of Duluth; sons, Darrin and Curt Laine of Duluth; mother, Gladys of Two Harbors; brother and sisters, Larry (Lou Ann) Carlisle of Las Vegas, Arlene (Paul) Horihan of Chatfield, Minn., and Brenda Carlisle of Two Harbors; grandchildren, Tyler Laine, Dylan Laine and Kylie Laine; and several aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. VISITATION:10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. service Thursday, May 11, 2006 in Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Two Harbors. Burial will be at Sunrise Memorial Park, Hermantown. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 8:17 am:   

Hi Owl '71-----Sorry that my religious teaching didn't stay with you. That's o.k---i never had a yearning to become a preacher, even though Bill has told me often that I tend to "sermonize." I think that's a polite word for nagging.......The 3 teachers at Bloomingdale were Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Mandelin, and Mrs. Frink. I think Mrs. Mandelin had a combined class of 2nd and 3rd grade, and maybe Mrs. Frink did a combination 3rd and 4th.....You mentioned a Darrell Johnson on Greenwood Road. I don't recall anyone by that name around your age. The only one that comes to mind was a Daryl Olson--sister would have been in your class. Daryl taught a North Shore and moved to Alaska quite some time ago and is still there as far as I know. Perhaps someone else can remember the D. Johnson.....

Zeke
Posted on Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   

Owl '71
All of the Johnsons (Dennis,Gloria,Paul,Darrel(Doe),Tom)including the parents I believe eventually, moved to Alaska. The last info heard, some were in Palmer. Marty Oberg is up there also. Daryl Olson is now retired from teaching in Fairbanks and guides (in the summer) people fishing at his camp ground on a River at Copper Center(4hrs east of Anchorage). Garry Moe stays in touch regularly with Daryl and Marty. Will ask Garry if he can find out info on Darrel. Dan Hendrickson might also be a lead on finding him. I heard Dan moved back to CV from Alaska?
Owl, does your family still have the homestead?

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 7:58 am:   

Thank you, Zeke, for the help. Now I do remember Dennis, Gloria, and Paul. Was Paul the one whose wife died a number of years ago? They had a daughter----lovely child. I had her as a student in 4th grade. Seems to me that the mother went to St. Michael's Catholic Church. Yes, Dan Hendrickson is back from Alaska---moved back not long ago. I haven't seen him recently, but he stopped up to visit about 7 or 8 years ago. He had extended his home visit after his dad had the accident that injured his leg. Dan had talked about starting his own business-----fixing driveways, roads, etc. I don't know if he has yet or not. Nice to hear that Daryl O. retired to such a nice business. The outdoors was always his love. Does anyone remember the bucket brigade when he was teaching 6th grade? It had been a terribly dry fall, and a fire started in the field to the north of the school. Daryl got his class out there and they fought the fire to keep it from spreading. It made TV the next day. My fondest memory of him was one year on the last day of school. The 6th grade that year had been a special bunch----I hated to see them leave because they were so great in music classes, and he hated to say good-bye to them because they were such a great group. Anyhow, I can still see him running after the bus as it pulled out at 3:00, waving to the kids and crying. Now, that's an outstanding teacher----

zeke
Posted on Tuesday, May 9, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   

Hello Norma,
Sadly,I do not know about Pauls family. The last time we were in Alaska fishing with Daryl, Daryl told the story of the bucket brigade. We laughed as he explained what happened and what transpired. They really had a good time. One night around the campfire after fishing Daryl recited from memory the poem; "The iceworm cocktail" Daryl had my 2 girls (at that time 10 and 15)mesmerized for the whole thing. Then spent the rest of the trip while fishing on the river, teaching it to them. He is wonderful with kids. And is great with us grownups as well!
All the best

Owl71
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:20 am:   

Hey Zeke,

No the old homestead got sold a while back after my dad retired. Except for the upper 40 which was wooded. My parents lived there in the fifth wheel in the summers for several years until it got to be too much. Then they sold the last bit, parked the fifth wheel in Texas and moved to an apartment in Duluth. I'm not sure of the name of the new owner but it was still there last summer when I passed through with my 12 year old daughter. The sale (including the big auction) took place after I moved to the Netherlands and, since it took place before the advent of internet, it sort of happened without me.

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:58 am:   

Hey Owl! Wanna see what is going on at your old homestead? Check this out:
http://www.prospectfarms.com/

erinwenneson
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:32 am:   

Helmi Lorraine Kinnunen
Helmi Lorraine Kinnunen, 76, of Two Harbors, died Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at her home surrounded by family after a courageous battle with cancer. She was born May 22, 1929 in Becker County, Minn., where she grew up. Helmi graduated from Menahga High School in 1947, and continued in secretarial training. She married Neilo Kinnunen on May 22, 1949 in Menahga, where they farmed until moving to Clover Valley in 1953, and built a home there in 1957. Helmi worked as a bookkeeper at Park Rapids Creamery, was a housewife on the farm, and a secretary at the Community Health Center in Two Harbors, and later at Clover Valley High School. She was a member of French River Lutheran Church and Apostolic Lutheran Church in Menahga, and was very active in both. Helmi was a prolific, well known baker, and also enjoyed gardening, canning, sewing, and camping with her family. She is preceded in death by her parents, Nels and Anna (Parvi) Ihme; brothers, Robert and Donald Ihme; and special aunt, Helen Torkelson. Helmi is survived by her husband of 57 years, Neilo; daughters, Karen (Bob) Johnson of Tucson, Ariz., Linda (Michael Kapsos) Kinnunen of Brimson, and Mary Hellman of Duluth; brothers, Arne and Duane Ihme, both of Menahga, Minn., and Clifford (Doris) Ihme of Minneapolis; sisters, Beatrice Gudmundsen of Golden, Colo., Shirley (Kenny) Newhouse of Menahga, and Elaine (Russell) Jacob of Menahga; grandson, Ian Cruikshank of Tucson; and many nieces and nephews. VISITATION:10 a.m. Tuesday, May 23, 2006 until the 11 a.m. memorial service in French River Lutheran Church. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 5/18/2006.

Chris S.
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 12:45 am:   

Niilo Emil Gustafson
Niilo Emil Gustafson, 93, of Two Harbors, Minn., died Thursday, May 25, 2006 at the Sunrise Home. He was born Feb. 5, 1913 to Gust and Ina Gustafson in Duluth, where he was a lifelong resident living in the same home for 93 years. He was self employed as a school bus driver and later drove for the Lake Superior School District. He also was a self employed excavator. He married Martha Keranen on May 31, 1941. He is preceded in death by his parents; and son-in-law, Charles 'Bob' Snell. Niilo is survived by his loving wife of almost 65 years, Martha; daughter, Marjorie Snell of Hinckley; sisters, Impi Swanson of Nebraska and Tyyne Karna of Illinois; grandsons and granddaughter, Jim (Erika) Snell of Duluth, Dale Snell and Marie Snell and great granddaughter, Alyssa Alexander, all of Hinckley; nephew, Art (Dorothy) Sahlstein of Nebraska; and many friends and family. Niilo will be sadly missed by all who knew him GATHERING OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS:10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 30, 2006 in Cavallin Funeral Home, Two Harbors. Burial will follow at Lakeview Cemetery Palmers, Duluth Twp.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 5/27/2006.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 1:03 am:   

Last Saturday I spent a great evening with Warren Mindestrom, and Craig Sundstrom at John Nylen's house in western Washington. We had a great time discussing all the ins and outs of who is related to who in the greater French River area. Until recently I was not truly aware how inter-related many of the old local families are. To be truly enlightened I am going to have to start a score card.

Warren is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge concerning the greater French River area. I know he checks this site quite frequently and I really wish there was some way I could get him to share some of his stories here. Come on Warren; tell us about your grandfather. I can't remember what your special name was for him now but I am sure some of the rest of us would like to hear some of the tales I know you can tell.

Warren even claims his Chevell was faster than Jim Brown's Mustang. Now I am a Chevy man but Jim’s pony car was awful fast.

Warren should be arriving in Knife River for the summer this week. I hope he had a safe trip. I hope to run into him again the end of next month when I visit my folks.

This picture is just because I really like this bridge. I spent lots of time crawled way up the arches under the road bed watching the waves on the lake. Might do it again this nest month.

bridge

I posted this picture some time ago but with Nillo’s passing it seems appropriate to post it again.

niilo

Brian Koczur
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:57 am:   

Howdy folks. Didn't grow up in CV, but drove by the old school while on my way to a job in the area. My curiosity got the best of me, and I started searching for information about the old school building. As a former teacher (now a snowplow driver) it broke my heart to see an empty school building. However, when I started reading the threads on this posting sight, I was sucked in. Thanks to all who have written. Your chat, your history and memories have brightened my day. I now reside in Lakeside (transplant from Cambridge) and am facinated by the history of the area. Please keep writing, it adds to the enjoyment of my time spent exploring the area.
Brian

Torggy
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

Thanks for taking the time to visit Brian. If there is anything we can tell you about the area let us know.

Wish I had a picture of the school the way it looked just before it closed. Anyone out there got one? If so please send it to me.

I got this email the other day from Tayna Peterson:

Hi!

I just came across your website today and found it very interesting. I'm not from the Clover Valley area however my Grampa (John (Bill) Young) grew up there. I'm not sure exactly where Grampa lived as a child, but I know that he and Gramma had a house at/in Palmer that they eventually moved to Segog.

Grampa sure has a lot of great stories to tell. Some of those stories are amazing. I can't imagine living the way he did as a child. My cousin interviewed him a few years back. It's nice to know that we will always have those stories. I'm not sure how many tapes it took- Grampa's quite a talker!

I'm anxious to see if the residents at Sunrise on Superior have access to the web. I think Grampa would really enjoy reading what you got here and especially looking at the old pictures.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you.

Tayna, I would love to hear some of Grandpa Young's stories. If ya have time try to post some.

In the mean time, Does anyone remember who she is talking about? If so let us know.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   

Speaking of Palmers

palmers picture
palmers story

torggy
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 8:34 am:   

Maki, Kenneth W.

Kenneth W. Maki, 55, Two Harbors, Minn. died Monday, July 3, 2006 at home after a long battle with cancer. He was born Oct. 18, 1950 to Ruben and Myrtle (Shucy) Synnes in Duluth. He graduated from Clover Valley High School and served in the US Navy in Vietnam as a supply officer. He enjoyed Alaska where he hunted, fished and lived from time to time. He also lived in Texas for 10 years. Ken was employed as a contract carpenter throughout his life. He was a member of the American Legion, the Moose and life member of the VFW. He was preceded in death by his parents; sister, Barbara and son Ryan. Ken is survived by his loving partner, Nettie Maki; brothers, Harry (Ingra) Pearson, Jerry (Mary) Pearson and Richard (Svea) Maki; sisters, Delores, Judy (Wayne) McCarley, and Myrtle Lois (Andy) Brice; close friend, Cory Carlos; and many nieces and nephews. No service upon Ken's request. Burial will be in Alaska. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

Darnell
Posted on Saturday, July 8, 2006 - 10:08 am:   

I remember riding in Jim Browns car when he and my sister Sandie took me to see wrestling at the arena. I can't even remember the color but I remember looking out the back window at the stars and waking up at home.
My best memories are of North Shore teachers Mrs Frink and Mrs Magee, both loved to read and instilled that same love in me. I still read the same books every year just for fun.
During the last couple of years at CV if you wanted an A in Mr Nelsons class all you had to do was ask him to talk about football and it was guaranteed A.
I am very interested to read any memories from anyone regarding CV area and have been smiling and laughing and even shedding a couple of tears while I've been reading.
Keep it up!
Richard--Owl 75 -- Hi from Swan

dve69
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   

Hi how is every one. I talked to Ann Johns. She says that she has canser. I was sorry to hear that!I was reading here about Sharmon Coxs. what ever happen to her. does anybody know what brother of GrunkS died.I was really sorry to see the old school. hope that you all are having a good summer.

dave69
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   

Torggy, When I had talked to you last year you had told me how I could get a story from the paper on a house fire in Knife River. I would still Like to get that pictures and story.Do you also know where I might get the pictures that the county would of taken? This all happen back in 1962 so I hope I can still get all the info.There's another one back fron 1951 on McQuaid road.dave69

dave69
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   

Torggy, My E mail address is dave.bock13@yahoo.com

Torggy
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:16 am:   

Dave, the only thing I know to do is to go to http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/ and use the search engine at the top of the page to search the archives. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about Ann. I wish her the best.

Anyone out there know about one of the Nesgoda's passing away?

Owl 75 it is great to hear from you. That must have been a heck of a date. Wrestling at the arena with your little brother asleep in the back seat.Does it get any better than that!?

dave69
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   

Torggy. I tryed that but no luck. I'll have to try somthink els.I was up in Duluth for 3 months I miss the cool wether snd the lake already.Its hot down here in the Citys.I herd somthings up there. Cliff Puckalla has a shop up in Two Harbers doing detailing cars. B.S. and his Brother Wess moved to Montanna.Gruks Dad died about 5 yrs. ago. I don't know what brother died I ve been trying to fine out.Has anyone out there have the class picture of 69? If you can please post it.

Sarah
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   

I believe it was Paul Nesgoda that passed on.

dave69
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   

Hi Sarah. Thank you for the name the name.Were you class of 69? dave69

dave69
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   

Paul Wayne Nesgoda diedjan.31,1993.rest in peace.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:27 am:   

Got this picture as small as I could. Hope it fits.

class of 69

dave69
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   

Hi Torggy.Thank you for the picture. I down loaded right away and it was good to see.So how is life in washington treating you? Its been hot here in the citys.What year did Sarah finnish school? Well dope me a line let me know how youer doing

Mad Max
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   

Nillo's wife Martha just passed away on July 18th. Just wanted to drop a quick line.

dave69
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   

anyone know if dale white still live in the same place or if he is ok? Been calling him but no anser. Anyone know Larry Nesgoda phone number?

Sarah
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   

Dale White I believe lives at the Nyberg old house on the Holmstead and Hagberg Rd. corner.

Norma Lindquist
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   

George Cooke passed away the end of June. A memorial service was held in Duluth last Wednesday. He was living in Colorado. He used to drive the school bus at Clover--daughters Linda, Diane, and Sandra. I couldn't find a phone number for Larry Nesgoda. I thought I had heard that he had his house up for sale. Try going to Switchboard.com. Mrs. Frink had a slight stroke and has been at Lakeshore Lutheran but is supposed to come home. She has people who come in to help out. -----Just heard that the restaurant being built by Compton's will be similar to the old Shore Crest--good fish dinners.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 9:48 am:   

Wow, thanks for the updates everyone! Looking forward to the new restaurant. I well be able to see it myself next week as my family makes our first visit back to the North Shore in four years. It well be nice to dip my toes in the big lake again. I hope to have a couple of beers at Lakeview Castle Saturday night the 29th. If anyone is around stop on by. First beer is on me. Look for the bearded guy wearing a hat with the CV button.

Found this article in the paper. Thought some of you might have not seen it.
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/15089743.htm

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2006 - 7:53 am:   

Just a quick note to say that I am having a great time in French River. I went to the hotdog feed and community get-together at the French River Church last night. Had a great time and afterwards followed the old path from the church parking lot and walked the river from the dam to the railroad tracks. It was like a walk back in time.

I managed to get permission to enter the old school. I also followed up a rumor and found one of the old Cavaliers that used to be on each side of the stage. I have pictures of both and will post some when I get back home next week.

Dave 69
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   

Torggy, Glad to hear you having a good time.If you like good churchs you should try the Vinyard church on 50th ave east.If you do tell pastor Steve Dave said hi and I miss all of them and they all are in my prays. Well have a good time Toggy looking forword to the pictures dave 69

Smeltfried
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 10:09 am:   

It is a walk back in time isn't it Torggy. Just thought I would let everyone know that Ed Mccorrison passed away suddenly over the weekend. What a bummer, his little brother Moose died in may. Tough year for the family.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   

Thanks for the update Smeltfried, That is sad news.

With that this thread has gotten to long and it its time to close it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration