Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile    
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Clover Valley Forum * Welcome * Welcome < Previous Next >

Torggy class of 69
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   

Welcome to the Clover Valley bulletin board. Let us know what you think of the board. Or post a story about the old school. most of all just let us know you were here.

Skipper
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:02 pm:   

Torrgy rocks!

tails
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 2:31 pm:   

Hey Torggy - just wanted to say congrats on the new site.

hap
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   

Webby and Torgg - fine site, fine site...I otta get in touch with "Uncle Ole" and have him check it out...pictures would be a good thing.

Wissota
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:06 am:   

I'm from Two Harbors but I remember playing basketball and lots of other things at the old Clover Valley school. I was sorry to see it close. Torggy I take it you are from Clover Valley? I heard the old store is closed now too...darn shame. I used to like that old store.

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 1:26 am:   

Born in TH moved to French River between the 6th and 7th grade.Then graduated from CV. The old store is closed now. It looked like someone was living in it this summer when I was by. It was a long walk at lunch from the school to the store. Cold one in the winter. Thanks for stopping in!!

webman
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 7:36 am:   

I drove by the old store a few weeks ago. It is not only closed, it is gone. Just an empty spot there now.

DOM
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 7:51 am:   

I knew some of those Valley chicks, they were OK!

torggy
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:09 pm:   

There are now a couple of pics on the Clover Valley Photo Page. Just click on the "Home" link on the menu.

wissota
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 7:03 pm:   

I remember some great parties out on the fox farm road.

E Jim
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:47 pm:   

The Valley Girls are OK, but they can't hold a candle to my Brimson Beauties. Kudos to Torg!

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 3:45 pm:   

The Fox Farm was a great place for parties. We had our graduation party in the old gravel pit up on the Rosine(sp) Truck Trail. Everything was going great till about 4 in the morning when the moose showed up. The girls all got scared and left. Some of the rest of us were not really sure what we saw.

wissota
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   

Torggy do you know any of the Nesgoda's (sp) ?

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 9:42 pm:   

Ya, I graduated with Larry. His brother, who we used to call "Grunk" was a year ahead of us. Larry and I collaborated on a small explosion in the chemistry lab. Mr. Granger told us we would never see the inside of the school again. LOL! Those were the days!!

Ivan
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   

I think I had a crush on his sister.

Skipper
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:49 pm:   

It's really me putting the messages from Ivan in here. One was kind of bad, so it got deleted. I'm sorry.

wissota
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:11 pm:   

I think Larry still lives out there near Nodie...haven't seen any of the Nesgoda's in quite awhile. Good bunch though...I basically grew up with them...our parents were good friends from high school on.

Skipper
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 7:21 am:   

I didn't write that.....

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 9:02 am:   

See what ya started Skip? Its cool though, we will all get over it. Its good to hear from you.

wissota, I have not seen Larry since 1989. He was living just down the road from his parents then. I do not know where he is now though. Back then he was a job supervisor for a construction company doing a job at the Duluth Zoo. Only guy I have ever seen that could smoke a cigarette and chew Copanhagen while having a toothpick in his mouth. I did see his Dad died about 6 months ago. That was quite a family, both in size, and for lack of a better word in "attitude". Larry spray painted his own name on the Clover Valley school once. Then got away with it by saying "would I really be stupid enough to use my own name?" They believed him and let him go. It was classic!

wissota
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 6:44 pm:   

torggy...that was a good story about Larry and no doubt it's true. Dude (Bert) died more like three years ago or so. Nodie remarried to another CV resident...Andy Anderson I think. I'll have to drive by this weekend on my way up hunting and take a look at the old sites, or at least where they used to be.

Skipper
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 6:27 am:   

Jeff Alseth used to buy beer at the CV store when he was only 13! had a beard then!

Ivan
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 7:58 am:   

I remember Skipper's feeble attempt at growing facial hair once. That sparse, wispy thing couldn't have gotten him a beer at the Dixie at 1am with a half pissed up Walt tending bar.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 8:07 am:   

I bet a little store out in the sticks like that had to take all the customers it could get. Did you get to share that beer Skipper?

Wissota, I did not know the Nesgoda parents. I do remember one time on a football trip to Orr we talked Gary(Grunk) into eating a cigarette. He got sick and could not play. The coach was sure mad! Good luck hunting. Where do you go?

Skipper
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 8:10 am:   

No Torg, he only told me about it, as far as my feeble facial growth I had many compliments on that!

Pug
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 11:07 am:   

Got myself a 12er of Schmidt big mouths for the big state high school football games today. Go Orr!! CHOF and BOLD are also favorites of mine.

Keith Richards
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 11:17 am:   

Is that other modern miracle of science still around? I think he is from the valley, Lloyd something or another.

Lloyd Anderson
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 9:02 am:   

Are you talkin' about me Keith? My scrawny, used up body does rather resemble yours. That, and I can smoke cigarettes like a sonofabitch.

wissota
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:19 pm:   

Torrgy I could tell you few stories about Gary myself. lol We hunt on some land I have at the end of the gun club road and a few other places...as we are out and about so to speak. Lots of deer around again this year, but no one in our group worries too much about shooting them...it's more like if they walk up in the middle of the card game and beg to be shot we sometimes oblige them...depends on the poker hand.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 10:12 am:   

wissota, that sounds like a great way to hunt. I bet your chances of bagging a deer are much better if you play cards in the woods then when you play at the bar though. Hey, do you ever go to the www.twoharborsforum.com site? It's got some stuff you might like.

Happy Thanksgiving. happythanksgiving

wissota
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 7:32 pm:   

Happy Thanksgiving to you to torggy!

I read the twoharborforum now and then, but don't post any longer because Webby went to the same set up as the old Lake County board. All that bitching, and then it comes full circle. If you can't remain anon...then might as well go back to the Lake County site.

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 9:43 pm:   

Thanks wissota! Did ya eat lots of turkey?

Sorry ya feel that way about the TH site. There were some folks that started posting some really rotten stuff and Webby had to do something. We got tired of having to watch the board every minute. It's to bad that a couple can ruin it for the rest. I can respect your want to be anon. If you should change your mind let us know.

To bad the Cowboys won. Have a great weekend!!

dobber
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   

Christmas is coming - got a start on decorating the house today, finally. The tree looks nice, the kids are having fun, the sweetie is smiling. All in all, reeeeaaallly nice. Gotta get done with the shopping though. Not enough days.

wissota
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 7:12 pm:   

Things appear quiet on the western front.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 8:52 am:   

happy holidays

Getting close. hope everyone has their shopping done!!

webby
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 6:31 pm:   

Merry Christmas Torg,

Merry Christmas

webman
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 7:41 pm:   

I wish some more folks would find this site. I will have to look at the search engine submission things again.

wissota
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:55 pm:   

Webman try listing West Two Harbors in the seach engine...lol

Any snow up there yet? Seems strange that the south and east are getting hammered with snow and bad weather, and here in good old Minnesota you can still the grass. Won't be long at this rate and the "Norwegian Riviera" might just be!

webman
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:42 am:   

Wissota, that is an excellent idea. Maybe I should give that a try. I did get this submitted to a bunch of the search engines. I imagine that in the next couple of weeks this place will be absolutely, totally overrun with disenfranchised Clover Valley Cavaliers.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 7:17 pm:   

Thanks for all you do Webby! I can hear the crowd coming now.

wissota, I do no know about the "Norwegian Riviera" but here is a site that says Duluth is the "Finnish Riviera"
http://www.inredllc.com/duluth/finnish.htm

wissota
Posted on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   

Torggy that Duluth web site was interesting thanks. I did notice they tended not to mention all the wonderful 40 degree and foggy days in July. They made the area sound so good I was ready to move back.

webman
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 5:22 am:   

I am getting tired of seeing Jan. 1 as the last posting date. So there . . . . . .

wissota
Posted on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 9:39 pm:   

Is it spring up there yet?

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 3:27 pm:   

The boats have not been able to get out under the bridge yet so i would say that it is still pretty cold.

How is it where you are?

tailspin
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   

wissota - I think today it may be spring. Please don't hold me to those words however.

webman
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   

There is a patch of green grass here and there around TH. There are even a few flowers starting to bloom. The robins are back. The boats finally made it out of the harbor. I am thinkin' that spring might be here, maybe just temporary, but it sure feels nice.

webman
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 3:30 pm:   

Torg, Any ideas? I have re-done the main page so it is no longer a "frames" page, I changed the redirect settings so the real address is not hidden (another "frames" thing), and I submitted the site to every search engine I could find. I just submitted a couple of weeks ago, and they do say it can take 4 to 8 weeks for them to catalog the site. I just don't know . . . . .

I sure would like to see some more activity here. Especially as summer approaches and the annual (I think it is annual) Clover Valley High School All-Class Reunion is drawing near. Maybe if you know someone that attends, they could help spread the good word.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 - 9:58 am:   

Webby thanks so much for all you do. You da MAN.

There is no all-class reunion this year though there may be some single class reunions. I have been in touch with the reunion committee and am a little disappointed there has not been more action.

There were only 600 some people that graduated from Clover Valley over the years. A fair amount have passed away and another group I am sure are not into computers. So the pool for contributers is rather small and hard to find. Hopefully the actions you have taken Webby well help find some of those.

wissota
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:36 pm:   

Well it's almost July...if I remember right that means the long johns come of in the Northland.

webman
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   

Clover Valley Forum is now listed in the Google Search Engine. I found it with "Clover Valley Minnesota"

webman
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 3:23 pm:   

Shows up on Yahoo! too!!!!!!

tailspin
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   

Hey Torggy - I miss you. Seems I'm either too busy or too tired to find the chat room anymore. Hope all is well with you.

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 9:43 am:   

I have been busy too Tail. Did chat with Vegas the other night though. I will try to stop by the TH chatroom more.

Check out the new band in Clover Valley!

http://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/bands/clover.html

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 9:47 am:   

That is cool Webby!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I had just tried the search engines last week with no success. Glad to see that it has finally registered!

TenGauge
Posted on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 11:00 pm:   

Just found this sight. Can't believe there haven't been more postings. I wasn't from CV, but my mother's side of the family was. My mom graduated from CV in 1962. She grew up on the Ryan Road and then the Shilhon Rd. Have many relatives that lived on the Ryan Road, some still do. Unfortunately most of the ones I was close to have passed on so haven't been to CV much in the last 10 years or so. We also used to do a lot of deer hunting on the Hegberg Road, last time was in about 95 or 96. Certainly is a great area. Wife and I have talked about moving in that area when I retire ( in about 13 years). Hope to see more postings. Happy Holidays!!!!

Yorggy
Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 10:15 am:   

TenGauge, great to hear from you! Glad you found the site. No, it has not gotten much use but then there are not alot of people that ever went to the school. I graduated from there in 1969(great year). Give me a hint, who are the relatives? Where do you live now?

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 10:19 am:   

Damn, can't even spell my own screen name. Sheesh! Embarrassing!

TenGauge
Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   

My mother's maiden name is Rooney. (My grandfather spelled his name obviously Rooney and his father, my great-grandfather spelled his Roney, go figure.) My grandmother is an Abrahamson. Unfortunately my grandfather died this past summer, but my grandmother is still alive and lives in Minneapolis.

I live in Grand Marais. A friend of mine, Steve Borud, who also lives up here is also from CV. Although the school closed before he graduated.

My grandfather built the house on the corner of the Ryan and Shilhon Road, Driscoll's live there now? or at least used to.

Need anymore hints?

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 8:04 am:   

Grand Marais huh? Cool, That is a nice area. To bad the rest of the world has discovered that also.

There was a Roney a few years behind me in school. His name was Mark, Mark Roney. His name sounded like macaroni, but that was to easy so we called him spaghetti. I just looked him up in my old year book and his last name is spelled Roney there. I have heard about the differant spellings before.

Sorry to hear about you grandfather.

Sergey Bubka
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   

The Fellbaums from CV could pole vault like sons of bitches...

TenGauge
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   

Merry Christmas!!

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 4:27 pm:   

Thanks Tengauge. Merry Christmas to you too.
santa

wissota
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:49 am:   

It's almost Easter...thought I'd check the site for any news...looks like everyone is still in hibernation. lol

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   

Good to see you are still around wissota. Did you check out the other thread about the 70s reunion?

imfishface
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 6:09 pm:   

Didn't start at Clover Valley but graduated from her. Great school. Actually went a few years to Bloomingdale until they closed her. Good years, too long ago.

Torggy
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   

imfishface, you keep flashing in and out without giving me any hints as to who you are. What year did you graduate? I now know where Falks boat works was at. Where you at now?

TenGauge
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   

Bloomingdale school was just east of my great-grandparent's house.

imfishface
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 6:16 am:   

I am home right now, Torggy. The temperature this morning is about 70. LOL,I love this....a true mystery. Hint: A member of my family graduated from the very first Clover Valley class, attended the very first year North Shore opened, and graduated, I think, the very last year Clover Valley was in existence. Mrs. Sunde, the cook at Bloomingdale, will not and cannot ever be beat for meals. I always got my ice cream on Friday. Does that help? TenGauge, did you get to walk up to Heino's store for goodies?

torggy
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:06 am:   

LOL, no not very much, but your family sure has a long history in Clover Valley. If you had ice cream on fridays that means you had fish for lunch. My sister was a junior the year they closed down CV and had to spend her senior year at Two Harbors. was a tough deal.

Did you attend the all-class reunion a few years ago? There were people from every class except for 2 I believe. It was a great time.

How about another hint?

tengauge, would that be Mattsons?

bloomingdale school

imfishface
Posted on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 7:25 pm:   

Ken Hendrickson was my bus driver.I remember Gustafson and Tuominen. Also, Walter Johnson drove. Later was Peterson. Anyone ever go to the big picnic in the summer at the Hatchery?

tailspin
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   

Hi Torggy!!

P Boys
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   

Torggy rules!

wissota
Posted on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 9:31 pm:   

How about someone posting a picture of what is left of the old school...if anything. I haven't gotten up that way in a while. Any plans for the property? I would assume that someone bought it to build on.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 1:54 am:   

I was up there a couple years ago and the old part was gone except for the basement. The new part was in horriable condition though it had not been really affected by the fire. Don't know if I really want a picture of it. Would be to sad to look at. Maybe someone will post one though.

TenGauge
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   

I was in the old school back when I was in High School in the early 80's. A former classmate of mine, Erik Silvola, lived there.

torggy
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:29 pm:   

We walked around it in the early 90's. There were cars parked in the cafeteria and the whole place was a mess. Sure is a shame that a good building like that has to go to waste.

In what part did Erik live?

cat
Posted on Saturday, October 2, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

I am thinking of returning to French River after not having been there since mid 70's. Part of me wants to go back and after reading your forum, part of me says "don't go back, remember it like it was." So, I'm not sure yet. I have some time to decide, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me here them! Someone mentioned Mrs Sunde. Do you know if she is still alive? Last time I saw her, she was cooking for the "Castle" I think. That was in the 70's. Well, nice chatting with you! Thanks for your input! Love this site and its' links!

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 9:32 am:   

You might be amazed by how much it has not changed. The lake seems enternal and you can still walk up the river and through the tunnel under the New Highway. Even the walk along Greenwood Road is a real treat. I say do it!

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 9:15 pm:   

Just to show you that some things don't change much.
french river bridge

This picture was taken a couple years ago.

Cat
Posted on Monday, October 4, 2004 - 9:08 am:   

Wow! Thanks for the pic!!!!! That particular one looks so familiar ... and so beautiful! I equally enjoyed the picture link you've got. What's this about the walk on Greenwood Road? I don't know what you mean but that is where I lived decades ago. If you have any more pics, I would really enjoy any or all! Thanks Torggy!

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 11:27 am:   

Glad you like it. I had to decrease the quality to post it here. If you would like a bigger and better picture just drop me an email. The link is on the home page towards the bottom.

Here are some you might like
4 pics

cat
Posted on Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - 10:49 pm:   

Those are great! Who knew that there had been a garden flower society!!!?!! Some of the girl scouts looked familiar- like Heino girls and Eiken girls, mabe. I am really enjoying this! Thanks!

Torggy
Posted on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 8:54 am:   

I thought the "Ruralaires" was rather strange myself.

I have a few pictures of differant families and stories of the area. Anything in particular you would like to see?

3 pics

CherieO
Posted on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   

Hi- Torggy!
I just stopped by to check out the board for the first time. I usually hang out in the THHS1979 board. We might know each other as I went to North Shore and 7th grade at Clover Valley, then it closed.

I am trying to figure out which Torggy you are..? We might even be cousins. You must have been in school with my older sister Ginny. My dad, Bernard Mindestrom, went to Clover Valley too and he had a cousin Torggy, but it must not be you... maybe your dad?

Violet Sunde was the nicest person. When times were tough, she used to get all the ladies in Knife River together and make Christmas gifts for my family and others. She lived next door to us south of Knife River and her mother lived on the other side of us, long after CV closed.

She spent most of her time in Arizona, so I have not seen her in years. I am not sure if she is still around. I'll ask my Mom.

Cheryl

CherieO
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   

Cat

According to Mom, Violet is still around. She was staying at her daughter's house and she is now in the nursing home.

Torggy
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 8:55 pm:   

Thanks for stopping in CherieO. I have seen your monicker on the class of 79 TH board. Sorry for not responding sooner but I was out of town all weekend.

I knew Michael Mindestrom, and we lived just down the shore from them. You went to school with my sister Terry. I believe she graduated from TH in 79 also.

I knew all my dad's cousins and he was not related to the Mindestroms. So it would have to be one of the other Torggys that infest that neck of the woods.

If by "Ginny" you mean Virginia Solem, yes I did graduate with her. Where is she these days and how is she doing?

CherieO
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   

Thanks, Torggy-
Ginny (Virginia Mindestrom)Sunde lives in French River, has lots(6) of kids and (?) grandkids.
She works at Shorecrest restaurant (used to be married to owner). She has been ill lately, but recovering and just went to Oregon to visit our aunt. I think that is near your neck of the woods?

The only Terry in our class was a Hanson. Is that your family?

rgds,

Torggy
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 9:21 am:   

I might have been wrong on the year Terry graduated. My last name is Torgerson ie Torggy.

I do not remember Ginny Mindestrom, but it has been a long time. Glad she is feeling better. That family has gone through some real tragic times. The story of Michael being only one.

Yes I live in the great Northwest. Actually in the Northwest corner of Washington State. My daughter just moved to Portland Oregon though.

It is great to hear from you. I hope that Cat checks in for the the update on Mrs. Sunde you were so kind to provide.

tailspin
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 9:22 am:   

Torgster, Terri graduated in '78. Better write that one down honey.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:24 am:   

Thanks for the correction Tail. It gets hard to remember things like that when you reach my age. Have to leave it up to you sweet young things to remember all that stuff.

CherieO
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   

Thx,

My half sister, Ginny, would have graduated from CV in 69 give or take a year, so I am surprised you don't remember. It seems like everybody knows her, she is such a pistol. ;)

Mike was my cousin, but I never knew him or his sister Barbara who both died of heart problems. I knew their many brothers i.e., Warren and Dean is the youngest (in Terry's class with my sister Coral, too). Our dads were brothers and they were born in the same house I grew up in, built by our Great Grandpa near Knife River. The house is `100 years old now and my Mom and youngest brother still live there.

And that is the long, sad story, I am sure you are sick of by now!

Too bad about the Twins. Did you go to the playoffs on your trip?

rgds,

CherieO
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 7:55 pm:   

Oops! Sorry, I meant that Dean and Coral are both in class of 80. Terry must be a little older than us, I guess.

Yes, we are cousins with Torgeson families in KR and TH, too. There are several Torggy's we know, so I get confused.

rgds,

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 9:39 pm:   

I think I see some of your problem there CheriO. There are at least two separate spellings. There is Torgerson and there is Torgeson. The differance is suttle be we like to think very Important. I went to school with a Debbie Torgeson. It really confused the teachers.

Yea Mike Mindestrom was a sad story. If I remember correctly he died while out parking with his girlfriend. The story was it happened during a very, shall we say "personal" moment.

Then years later a good friend of my ex-wife died in the Mindestrom's garage. Not sure what the story was there. But tradegy sure seems to follow that family.

CherieO
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 10:20 pm:   

Thanks, I never heard those stories. I must have been too young.

Yeah, I like to think that we Mindestrom's are the poor version of the Kennedy's. There were rumors that the great grandfather fled to the US from Norway because he had killed someone. ;)

My dad died young of lung cancer and one of his brothers fell off our back porch (2nd story) and died. I like to think that I am breaking the mold, though, because trouble seems to follow me rather than tragedy.

I'll tell you a comical story-- On my graduation night, my date and I were all dressed up visiting with Violet Sunde in the old Mindestrom house. We left via the back door to go to the ceremony. When we stepped on the top step of the porch, the whole stairway collapsed. My date and I acted quickly and grabbed the railings which were still hanging by a few nails and climbed down. We did not even get a scratch, not even dirt on my dress or high heels. However, we were worried about poor Violet so we went back inside laughing to make sure she took the front door. ;)

rgds,

Mother formerly TenGauge
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 6:46 pm:   

Does anyone know if Bill Lindquist is still alive? I graduated with his daughter, Yvonne. A couple of years ago I heard he was ill.

Torggy - If I remember correctly, Erik's family remodeled the classrooms in the front southwest corner of the school. I was there once, Friday night before deer season. We went there to watch the Gophers vs. Bulldogs hockey game.(I was the only Gopher fan.) The area they remodeled was very futuristic looking. I remember Erik showing me around the school. I remember walking into the gymnasium, etc. Kind of cool to see where my mother went to school.

Torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 8:13 pm:   

The last time I saw Mr. Lindquist ( I have to call him that as I was one of his students) was in 1989. It was my 20 year class reunion and we rented a motorhome with a non drinking driver and toured the country side. We stopped at the old school and then we stopped unannounced at Mr. Lindquist's house. He welcomed us very graciously and we had a great time visiting with him. He did look somewhat weak though.

After stopping there we went to the Hitching Post Tavern, owned by an ex-classmate Mike Grub. It was a great way to do a reunion.

That would have been in the old part of the school. The part that is burned down now. The Gym was in the new part.

Thanks for making the Mother formerly TenGuage link.

CherieO
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 10:07 pm:   

I was always fond of Mr. Linquist as a teacher, too. He was my homeroom teacher in 7th grade and then I had his shop class in 8th grade in the Two Harbors Middle school, too.

It seems to me I visited his house once, but I don't remember the details...something about maple trees and his homemade syrup. His kids were about my age, so it must have been with them.

dhacm
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 7:49 pm:   

What about Robin Torgerson of Knife River, THHS Class of 1979? And her older brother THHS 1978?

CherieO
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   

I went to school with Robin. I don't know about Torggy; however, I don't think we are related to that family of Torgersons, despite the fact that we are related to much of K.R. and CV.:)i.e., Carlson, Sunde, Alseth, to name a few families.

Torggy
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 9:50 am:   

No I am not related to any of the other Torgersons in or around the Duluth or TH area. Well other than the members of my immediate family that is. Weird thing is the area I live in now also has severel families of Torgersons and I am not related to any of them either. Though it has caused many confusions over the years.

CherieO, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be related to so many. How do you keep it straight?

CherieO
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   

I guess many families in the area intermarried over the past 100 years.

That is just it--I can't keep it straight. I remember things my father told me, but I don't really know most of my family. It is nice to know they are all out there somewhere, though. ;)

My dad has a cousin Torggy with whom he used sing songs in Kendall's bar, so I was going to ask you if you know the song "Minnie the Mermaid".

Torggy
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 4:07 am:   

Kendall, Kendall, huummm why should I remember that name? Where was that at?

MINNIE THE MERMAID
O, what a time I had with Minnie the Mermaid,
Down at the bottom of the sea.
Down amongst the corals where she lost her morals,
My, but she was good to me.
Oh, what a time I had with Minnie the Mermaid
Down in her seaweed bungalow.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust;
Two twin beds and only one of them mussed.
Oh, what a gal was my Minnie the Mermaid,
Down at the bottom of the sea.

Gettin kinda racey there. No I had never heard of this song before. But Google can find anything I swear.

CherieO
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   

Wonderful! I could not rememember the words. It must have been a Navy song, don't you think? I suspected someone named Torggy must know it. ;)

Thanks!

Cat
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   

How great to see some of those old names that I hadn't heard in years! I also had Mr. Lindquist as a teacher -for English. Torggy, you mentioned Mike Grub. I went to school with a Grub also. Mike sounds remotely familiar but the name Tom Grub is also ringing an old bell. Oh, by the way... I have heard that Mermaid song before! Long ago when Hattecke's (SP?) had a tavern/lodge and cabins just down from the "Castle" on the shore, I used to sneak in there with a girl named Lynnae. We would listen to the old fishermen sing those songs until we were caught and thrown out. And I think that Mermaid song rings a bell and was one that they may have sang. Cherio,thanks for checking with your Mom about Mrs Sunde. Does your mom know the name and/or address of her nursing home? I would love to send her a card. Her great cooking spoiled those of us who went to Bloomingdale b/4 it closed! Thanks to all of you for digging up the memories!

Torggy
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 9:52 pm:   

Cat, That place was called the Forest Inn. I used to go with one of the Hatteke(sp) girls named Signe. That was Lynnae's sister I think. I can remember a sportsman club that used to meet there like one a week. I used to deliver papers there. After that the Bumgardener's owned it and still do I believe. Now it is really run down.

Mike Grub had a Brother named Tom I think. Though I could be wrong.

I do nave some info on some of the older families of the area. Any you would like to see something about?

Cat
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   

Forest Inn, hmm... brings back memories! Yes, I remember Signe. She had a twin brother. You offered info on some of the other older families. Would that possibly include any of the following families who lived on Greenwood Rd.; Olsens, Fellbaums, Sorvicks and Jacksons. Some of the others I went to school with were in these families: Heino near Bloomingdale and Eiken on McQuade Rd.
This is great! Anyone else out there who stumbled on this as did I, please come on board and lets get something going here! Thanks Torggy!

torggy
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   

I have some stories about most of those mentioned above. However this thread has become to long. So I will close it now and start a new one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration